Monday, April 30, 2007

The details - maybe too many details

Yes boys and girls, I am pregnant. I really can't believe it myself.

John and I weren't trying to conceive, but we are thrilled nonetheless. I am probably going to be telling you way too much information in this post, but you said you wanted details.

John and I have been together for almost 10 years (but we've only been married for 2 years). During our entire relationship, we have used the withdrawal method. We used the withdrawal method successfully for 8 years, until we began trying to conceive in 2005. When we stopped using this method, it took us two months to get pregnant with Porgie.

So after Porgie was born, we decided to continue using the withdrawal method. My OB kept trying to get me to start birth control pills, but I told her that it wasn't necessary. She sternly told me not to get pregnant for at least a year. (Oops)

John and I went happily on our way, continuing to use the withdrawal method. In March, I missed my period. I have always had irregular periods, so I didn't really think much of it. After two weeks had passed with no period, I decided to take a pregnancy test. When I urinated on the stick, it instantly came up positive. I was shocked. At first, I was convinced that the test was wrong. It was expired, right? No, it wasn't expired. I decided to go buy another test, so I didn't tell John that night.

The next morning, Porgie and I went to Target and got another test. I raced home and retested - twice. Both tests came up positive. I was happy, but nervous about telling John. I think I was nervous because this pregnancy was unplanned.

When John got home from work that night, I showed him the pregnancy test. He was overjoyed. He was so happy, that I kind of felt like an asshole for even worrying about his reaction.

So, I went to see my OB, who confirmed the pregnancy. I was scheduled for an ultrasound to date my pregnancy. Because of my irregular periods, Porgie's due date was pushed back by two weeks. My doctor figured that this pregnancy would probably be the same.

Last Friday, I went in for my ultrasound. Even though I knew that I was pregnant, I was still absolutely amazed when a little baby popped up on the screen, with a beautiful beating heart. All I could think was, 'WOW! I am going to have a baby!'

According to my last period, I was 10 weeks and 2 days pregnant. According to the ultrasound, I was exactly 9 weeks pregnant. So, my due date was changed from Nov. 21st to Nov. 30th.

I am going to have a baby! AHHHHH!



Just to make those of you who are pregnant jealous, I have had virtually no symptoms with this pregnancy. (YAY ME!)

12 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

Wow we are almost exactly the same far along! I'm due Nov 24th yay for us. how awesome for us.

Ashley said...

that is just the coolest story! Aiden was our perfectly planned and Caileigh was our sweet surprise! Congrats and seriously it is the best thing having two children close in age..........I am loving it!!!

Amber said...

This is so exciting! And the withdrawal method, yep that's how Taylor was conceived! I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic and fabulous in every way. :)

Em said...

Glad your are well and now over the shock - very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! The nicest of all surprises.

Whe I was pregnant with Maggie, I was nervous about telling Joe too. When I showed him the stick, he cried.

With Will, I bought Mag a shirt that reads, "I'm the big sister"
He cried.

Paula said...

Congrats!! You are way braver than I.

Margo said...

I'm happy for you. The withdrawal method, huh? no fun! LOL ;-)

misguidedmommy said...

so yeah, my mom was embarrassed, embarrassed because her daughter was a prude who didnt find it funny.....she has no shame

S said...

Congrats!

Anth said...

Soooo cool!

Withdrawal method, huh. I'm impressed that worked for you for 8 years. In fact, I bow to your greatness.

I think your new due date is handier. That way Thanksgiving should be over before Porgie's baby sibling arrives. (What are you going to call Pending Arrival in the meantime??)

Timi said...

Wow. You're due a couple of days after me (I'm due Nov 26th). It's a good thing I didn't read that you've been feeling great until after I started feeling a bit better. And you give me hope for future pregnancies. Congrats again.