Monday, April 9, 2007

Holidays

When I was a kid, we always celebrated the holidays with my grandmother. Every Christmas, New Years, Easter, and Thanksgiving was held at Grandma's house. Everyone would sit around the dinning room table, eating and laughing. Growing up, I loved spending time with my granny.

Since moving to New Jersey, I no longer get to go to Grandma's house. Somehow, the holidays have lost their excitement and appeal. I no longer look forward to each coming holiday.

As I think about holidays with Grandma, I can help but feel an overwhelming sense of sadness. She is 76 years old, and I am missing her last holiday parties. This reality struck me last week, when our neighbor suddenly passed away. Even though he was elderly, he death was unexpected and tragic (he ended up in critical condition in the burn unit).

Although we weren't close, his death really upset me. He seemed so energetic and full of life. I just can't believe that he is gone. The thought that my grandma could pass away so suddenly is horrifying.

Something else about his death really disturbed me. He was married for 56 years, and now his wife is all alone. The thought of all her sadness, a mere 10 feet from my home, is unbearable.

Because I don't want to end on a sad note, here are some pictures of my beautiful baby girl on Easter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your neighbor--and his wife. And that you can't spend holidays with your grandmother. I don't know if it's having a kid or what, but I now take holidays and family time more seriously. And as the grandparents are getting older, it's sad to think that soon they may not be with us. I try to get to see my 80-year-old grandparents as often as I can, and make sure they get to know the baby.

I love the dress. You said your mom sent it--that's a step in the right direction, isn't it? And what a beautiful, pudgy baby. And you're worried that she's not eating enough!

Amber said...

So sorry to hear about your neighbor. I hope his wife is doing okay. And Porgie looks beautiful in her dress! I love it! I hope you had a good Easter even if it wasn't at your grandma's.

misguidedmommy said...

You know when I was pregnant, I kept telling myself i would never put my child in sweatervests or suites an stuff. But now that he is here, its almost humerous to me to make him look like an 80 year golf guy. My husband gets annoyed with me but I just can't help picking out the cheesiest outfits possible for holidays. You are lucky with a girl you already know they are wearing a dress!

Em said...

Its very sad about your neighbour, my neighbour died just before christmas from cancer he was 2years younger than me and was uni, it really hits home when you can relate to this person it some way. His Mum is now on her own next door and i really feel for her.

Pogie looks great in her dress - Happy Easter!

Christy said...

Eva,
Yes, my mom bought Porgie her Easter dress. She has actually been sending Porgie lots of stuff lately. I'll have to post about her kindness.

Misguided mommy,
I completely understand. The lamer, the cuter.

tifferny said...

i would love to give you a hug but my arms won't reach that far. will a cyber hug help? ((((((((((((((((christy))))))))))))

the situation with your neighbor is so tragic. i know you aren't really close with them but maybe you, John and porgie could reach out to the wife, maybe bake something or bring her flowers?

i know you often feel lonely and now she, too is alone. even though she is elderly and you may not share many things in common it may be nice just to share the company (like go for a walk or the park or something)? seeing porgie may also help her. babies can work miracles. i think maybe just reaching out would be a nice gesture and a good start.

p.s. porgie is too adorable in her little easter dress. what a doll!

Anonymous said...

BTW I love the bloomers!

Bon said...

your girl is indeed beautiful, with those little chubby legs and those bright eyes.

and your neighbour - and the loneliness of our society in general - is breaking my heart.

Timi said...

She really is beautiful.

I'm realizing also how my grandparents are really fragile now. I'm really close to my grandmother and it kills me that I live so far away and can barely see her. She's not doing well, and all I want to do is be with her. It sucks.