Monday, April 16, 2007

Maybe I exaggerate

So, I went to the doctor's office today. Guess what? It wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. My doctor was sweet and kind - she even gave me a hug when I arrived. Then, I remembered that I love my doctor. We discussed my weight, but only in a constructive manner. I basically need to eat less and exercise more. This advice sounds simple enough, but we all know that it will be extremely difficult. Thankfully, nice weather is on its way. Hopefully, Porgie and I will start getting out for walks to the park.

When I got home from my appointment, John and Porgie were happily playing on the floor. I smiled at my baby and reached out for her. She just stared at me with disinterest. I danced around a little and reached out for her again, only to be rebuffed once more. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. I picked her up anyways. She whined and reached for John. It broke my heart. Three hours with her daddy, and my baby no longer wanted her mommy. Sniff sniff. Fortunately, once John left for work Porgie resumed her mommy mommy mommy mentality. And all was right with the world.

Porgie and I had a really good afternoon. She crawled and pulled up, while I smiled and clapped. It was pretty awesome. Although I hate to admit it, I think having a few hours to myself made me a happier mommy. I kind of wish we had a babysitter - for maybe just one day per week. How the hell do you find a babysitter? Keep in mind that I don't know anyone in the state of New Jersey.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

It truly is amazing what a little time away can do for your mentality! Sean and I never get out so when we have family visiting we try and get out at least once. We actually did find a babysitter just before Caileigh was born because we wanted to try and have a date night but it turned out she is allergic to our cat. I am going to the dentist tomorrow and am already excited about the hour away! LOL
Do you know any other mothers you could ask for babysitters? I wonder if there would be some kind of referring agency? Perhaps you could even sneak out on your own once a week while your husband watches porgie? Anyway, glad that the Dr's went ok. THe good weather should definately help to get out more.

Mary said...

I agree with you completely: a little time away from baby does wonders. I have the same problem too-I don't know anyone to watch the baby. Of course, if I weren't so damn anti-social I might have someone to babysit...

The weather here has been fabulous and I've been taking Claire outside just about every day. The great weather makes it so much easier to get up and move. I normally go to the gym, but I HATE that. Walking or jogging outside when it's nice doesn't fun like exercise, but feels like fun!

tifferny said...

i think i am the only psycho mom out there who actually enjoys time spent w/ my daughter more than time apart. mike and i have had exactly two dates since mikaela has been born and neither was for very long, just dinner and a movie. we are fortunate though, as our parents live in the area. my friends have had luck finding babysitters on craigs list. just be prepared to do a lot of interviewing. you want to feel comfortable with whomever is watching porgie.

glad to hear the doctor's visit wasn't that bad. :)

Bon said...

i agree that a little time away is good for you...and good for the babies, too, i think.

i've just found someone who will take O parttime, in her home...found her through an ad in the paper. she has a little girl a month younger than O is. the little girl hit him when they first met, but now they seem to like each other. i'm hopeful. :)

Em said...

Its a shame you don’t get time off i think it would do you good, I really appreciate Billy when I pick him up after work. I'm very lucky i have both mum and mum in law to help.

I do understand the frustration when they ignore you, Daddy always seem the fav in our house, but it me that does the cuddling!

In UK child minders register with local councils and have to approved, then you can book them. Is there not a service like that?

Anonymous said...

I can't stand to leave the baby. I'm very possessive. But I did once interview babysitters; I put an ad on a local university's job search web site, and got lots of respondents. Also, if you join a local mother's group, you can probably get some good referrals.

I'm glad your appointment went well!