Friday, April 13, 2007

Babies are babies

I really don't like it when bloggers endlessly blab about how damn smart their kid is. You know what I am talking about - those blogs that seem to focus primarily on milestones and the IQ of their delicate genius child.

I try my hardest not to be one of those bloggers. Sometimes I might complain about a missed milestone, but I certainly don't think my baby is intellectually or physically advanced. I think she is an average baby, who is learning new and exciting things everyday.

With that said, I do periodically feel the need to discuss her progress. Just so I have it documented - more for me, than for you. Now that Porgie is 10 months old, I want to take a minute to tell you about all of the fun stuff she learned during her 9th month.

1. Porgie learned to crawl. She started the month by pushing herself up onto her hands and knees. Mid-month, she was moving backwards. By the end of the month she was crawling forward.

2. Porgie learned to sit up independently. This seemed to happen overnight - literally. Every time I would go to get Porgie out of her crib, she would be sitting up. Now, she sits up with ease. By the way, this milestone is actually kind of annoying. Often, Porgie will wake up at night screaming. I'll rush in to comfort her, and she'll be sitting up in bed. When I lay her back down, she goes right back to sleep.

3. Porgie learned to cruise around, while holding onto furniture. At first, I would have my hands hovering around her body at all times, ready to catch her. But now, I just let her go. She has cracked her head on the table a few times, but she doesn't seem to mind.

4. Porgie learned to pull herself up on furniture. John and I actually missed seeing her pull herself up for the first time. Porgie was crawling around on the floor, and we were eating dinner on the couch. We were talking to each other, when I noticed that Porgie was standing up. John and I both stared at her in amazement. We put her back down on the floor, and she pulled herself right back up. We were very impressed.

So, now my baby is 10 months old. Can you believe it? In two more months, she will be a year old.

Look mom, one hand.

Porgie looks a little drunk in this picture.

11 comments:

tifferny said...

wow, ten months! what an amazing little girl. hope the feeding thing is going a bit better. you haven't mentioned it, so i figured all is well.

love the picture! she does look a little enebriated though.:) what are you putting in her bottles??? LOL

yes. i, too, try VERY hard not to constantly brag about my little mikaela. it's hard when you are so damn proud of them!

Anonymous said...

Good girl, Porgie!!

I'm starting to get a little concerned about Will's progress...or lack therof.

He still drags himself across the floor Zombie-style. He doesn't even seem intersted in crawling, standing or walking.
He's 8.5 months old now. He should be *doing* something. Of course, I know that all kids develop on their own blahblahblah.... and my Mom tells me that boys are just lazy. All 6 of my brothers walked late. Plus I think we don't have as much free-time to devote to simply playing with him on the floor. When Maggie was little, it was just her. We could spend hours on teh floor with her, playing & rolling around. Will is a bit more laid-back. He is content to watch "Sister" run around like a nut.

Anth said...

You know, they don't really recommend giving 10-month-olds VODKA. Ha ha

I kind of missed Baby E's first pull-up too. I was curled up on the couch twisted around to talk to Dh in the kitchen, when I looked back, Baby E was standing in front of me! I immediately started clapping & cheering, I'm sure she had no idea why.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy to think they're gonna be "toddlers" in just a couple months??!!

Porgie is perfect in her own way, progressing right where she needs to be. All those milestone markers are crap anyway. Sometimes my son will do something he's not "supposed" to do several months earlier and sometimes he's not doing something he is "supposed" to be doing several months later.

It all evens out in the end and no one talks about when they started eating finger foods or crawling when they're adults. Because it doesn't really matter.

Em said...

10months! WOW Billy same age and you've now planted the thought in my head that he'll be a year old soon!

What a cute little alcoho pulling her self up! I dont think you endlessly blab about Porgie at all i love reading about her! I hope my blog isnt one of the endless blabbers! LOL

S said...

Sounds like Porgie is doing just fine!
I think your bragging is okay. This is your child and you are a proud mama!

Competitive bragging, on the other hand, comes out completely differently and that only serves to irritate people. It has a "tone" to it, you know?

Summer said...

She is one adorable little girl Horray for the milestones. That is a cute picture of her

Anonymous said...

I hope I don't brag too much. I am mostly just really impressed that my baby can do anything at all. I mean, she used to be such a total blob! Everything she does is amazing to me.

Porgie's a cute little sweetheart.

Emery Jo said...

cutie pie!

Ashley said...

Well, she sure sounds clever to me!! Congrats on 10 months Porgie!!!

Mary said...

There's nothing wrong with being a proud mama! Porgie is sweet and doing well. I love that picture!

I remember when Elise learned to pull up. She would wake us up in the night and we'd find her standing in her crib. It drove me crazy! A couple of nights ago I caught Claire sitting up in her crib (this was the only time she's sat up by herself and I didn't see it!).