Saturday, February 3, 2007

Why is pumping a dirty little secret?

I know I jump around from topic to topic, but I am scatterbrained lately. Please forgive me.

After reading a few blog posts about breastfeeding yesterday, I started thinking about my own experiences. I am amazed that my health providers never talked about pumping while I was pregnant. All I ever heard was that breastfeeding is best for the baby. There was no discussion about breastfeeding struggles.

So, I never even considered using an electric pump. I attended a breastfeeding class, where the instructor assured me that buying a pump wasn't necessary. I naively believed that breastfeeding would just come naturally. Why doesn't anyone talk about what to do if breastfeeding doesn't go well?

After Porgie was born, I was having difficulty with breastfeeding in the hospital. The nurses would talk about my baby blues, and how babies can sense when you are stressed. They kept telling me to "just relax." This is the dumbest advice that anyone can give.

I really wish that someone had recommended a breast pump, instead of formula. It seems like doctors and nurses preach that breastfeeding is best, but they are all too quick to give your baby formula. What the hell is up with that?

I just thank God that my OB recommended the breast pump. If it wasn't for her, I am certain that Porgie would have been given formula for her first 6 months, instead of breast milk.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about this, too.

Doctors don't seem to think of breastfeeding as the medical issue that it certainly is for infants in that it's their nutritional foundation we are talking about. Even my OB who EP'd for four months herself didn't seem all that interested in my milk supply/nursing plight. Her big suggestion was that I drink more beer.

My pediatrician has never given an unasked-for opinion about nutrition, though when I've talked about my EPing plans she has said that 6 months is better than 3 months, for example.

As for why breastfeeding educators don't mention pumping or other unusual issues, I'm not sure, but my thinking is that they don't want to scare women off breastfeeding. That's dumb, though. I know so many women (in real life too but mostly online) who ended up with nipple shields or having pumping-related issues or whatever that I never saw mentioned in the "What to Expect"-type books. You'd think they'd mention what would happen if there are issues.

At this point I can't recall how I got on the pumping instead of giving up bandwagon. Certainly no one at the hospital, besides the nurse that brought me the pump to begin with when my baby wasn't latching, mentioned it as a solution.

My God am I rambling. Anyway I agree with you that you'd think doctors and post-partum support people would be more interested in helping women make enough milk or nurse. Why are medical professionals so okay with formula? It's weird to me.

Christy said...

It is strange isn't it? But hindsight is 20/20, so next time, I will be better prepared to face any obstacles that might occur. I am definitely going to be pumping from the very beginning to ensure a good milk supply. It took me 6 months to finally get 24 ounces per day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm with you on working on the supply from the very beginning if/when there's a next time. I'm at 18 oz at 5.5 months so I know all about supplementing.

What were your supply-boosting methods?

Christy said...

Eva,

For the longest time, I could only pump about 16 ounces per day. It was like I had topped out at 16 ounces. I refused to accept this, so I started making an effort to pump every two hours throughout the day, for at least 20 to 30 minutes (I use to pump for a max. of 15 minutes). This was very hard, but my efforts paid off. Also, I only pumped at night if I was really engorged.

I also bought the mother's milk tea, but I rarely drank it. I have heard that eating baby oatmeal will also increase your supply, but I never tried it.

I know how hard pumping is, and I am really cheering for you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I topped out at 16 oz for a while, too! And then I tried various things, one of which was increasing my pumping time! Coincidence! I also ate more oatmeal and tried more tinctures and blah blah blah some other things.

I'm about to write a post on all my supply-boosting tips, since I have more than quadrupled my supply at this point (yes, I used to make 4 oz a day).

Christy said...

You only pumped 4oz all day? You poor poor woman. All that work, with such a small reward. Going from 4oz to 18oz is wonderful. You are amazing.

Christy said...

One tip I forgot - after I would pump for 30 minutes, I would stop for about 10 min. and then pump for 5 more minutes. I read somewhere that this tricks your body into thinking you need more milk.

Anonymous said...

I love the pumping tips! Thanks!