Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Sleepy times, sleepy times

Things on the sleep front took a nose dive. I have decided that Porgie will cry no longer than 5 minutes - ever. It breaks my heart, and causes her too much distress.

Unfortunately, Porgie had a rough weekend. On Saturday night Porgie fell asleep at 8:00 pm in my arms (like always), and I transferred her to the crib. An hour or two later, she woke up screaming. By the time I got to her (only a minute or two), she was hysterical. I brought her into bed with me, until she fell asleep. Then I transferred her back to the crib. This happened several times.

Last night, Porgie would not go to sleep at 8:00. Over the course of 3 hours, I transferred her from our bed to the crib 843 times, roughly. She was fussy and out of sorts. Finally, I was so frustrated that I just stuck her in the swing for 30 minutes and went into the other room. When I came back, she was sound asleep. Then I had the horrifying task of transferring her to the crib. It was scary, but I didn't wake her up. I collapsed into my bed at midnight. It was a rough evening.

She has also decided that she will no longer put herself to sleep in the crib. Instead, she just cries until I pick her up. I honestly don't know how people do sleep training. I only really let her cry one time, and now she seems to genuinely hate her crib. It makes me so sad. I thought Porgie was going to start being a good sleeper. I am so naive.

On a positive note, Porgie has been taking really good naps lately. She has been routinely sleeping for 1 to 2 hours in both the morning and afternoon. Occasionally she will wake up after 30 or 40 minutes, but typically I can count on at least an hour and a half for each nap. It is lovely!

Also, Porgie has only been waking one or two times per night (in the middle of the night - I don't count wakings that occur before I go to sleep). This is a big improvement. Just a few weeks ago she woke up at least 3 or 4 times per night.

I hope all of you are getting a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is SO FRUSTRATING when you can't get them to go to bed. The end of the day when you are also tired and want to be alone requires asleep babies. I'm so sorry! All I can say for sure is that it WILL get better sometime. I mean, it may get worse again after that, but it will get better! Ebb and flow. Babies are hard.

Hey, how much time does your husband see your girl a day? I just realized mine only sees her like 30-90 mins on weekdays and soon it's going to be less when he takes a new job. I am not delighted with this.

Christy said...

Eva,
My husband usually gets home between 6pm and 7pm. We start Porgie's bed time routine around 7:30, so he usually only see her for about an hour and a half. This time is cut even shorter, because he typically makes dinner too. I think it sucks, but John doesn't seem to really care. Some nights he works late and doesn't get to see her at all. That really sucks.