Thursday, February 8, 2007

Eczema is a bitch!

Porgie has eczema. Periodically, a horrible rash will appear somewhere on her sweet little skin. Although Porgie is only 8 months old, she already has a long history with this pesky skin problem.

When Porgie was about a month old, she developed a rash on her forehead. The doctor said it was a newborn rash, nothing serious. I started putting Aveeno lotion on her bumpy little forehead, but the rash wouldn't go away. I knew it was itchy, because Porgie would rub her face back and forth across my chest.

After a few weeks, the rash had spread to her back. It wasn't just a little patch - it went from her neck to her butt. I called the pediatrician's office. A nurse told me start washing her with Dove soap and to use Eucerine lotion. I followed her orders, but the rash didn't go away. Instead, it spread even further.

At two months old, Porgie was covered in one big rash. It was on her face, her back, her stomach, her arms, and her legs. I made an appointment and went in to see a doctor. Immediately, he diagnosed her with eczema. He was surprised by the severity of her rash. He said that newborns do not typically have eczema so badly.

He prescribed her a lotion, which was very strong. It contained steroids, and could cause serious complications if it was used too liberally or for too long. My husband didn't even want to use the lotion, but I put it on her anyways. I couldn't imagine how horrible it would be to have an itch, but not be coordinated enough to scratch yourself.

Within days, the ezcema was all cleared up. However, Porgie continued to get rashes on her back and legs. I would just use regular lotion or hydrocortizone unless they got really bad. Then, I would pull out the steroid lotion.

Currently, Porgie has a rash on her scalp, behind one ear, and on the back of her neck. She is constantly scratching them and making herself bleed. I am nervous about putting the steroid lotion on her head - too close to my baby's developing brain.

I wish there was something I could do to get rid of this awful skin problem. My baby is miserable.


Look at that awful rash on her forehead. My poor baby.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor thing. Mine has some eczema too but .5% hydrocortisone seems to erase it for the most part, and it doesn't seem to itch her, so thank goodness for that. It must be so hard being a baby--especially if you itch and can't scratch!

Any theories on why she has it? Allergies to something?

Have you read anything bad about using hydrocortisone regularly?

Christy said...

When I was pumping, Porgie would always have an outbreak of eczema after I would eat a large amount of dairy - like a cheese calzone. However, Porgie is now on a soy based formula made with no milk or lactose and she still has eczema. Luckily, the rashes aren't as severe.

I use 1% hydrocortisone on Porgie, which doesn't really seem to help. I haven't heard anything bad about using hydrocortisone regularly - just make sure you follow the recommendations on the package. The steroid lotion we use on Porgie can cause adrenal suppression. Very scary.

On a different note, babies who develope eczema as newborns are more likely to have food allergies. So, I have been super cautious when introducing new foods to Porgie. I will post about introducing solids in the next day or two.

Thanks for reading - Christy

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know this is June but I just came across your blog...Hope you don't mind but my grand-daughter when she was an infant broke out terribly with a bad rash...we realized it was the lanolin in her wipes and lotion that was doing it...we stop buying anything with lanolin in it and the rashes went away...just a thought...you wouldn't believe how many products have lanolin in them...Hope this helps. Beautiful baby by the way..God Bless. Creative Endeavors at cafepress.com/creationsbylynn

kristi said...

My son has eczema BAD as well as allergies and asthma. I found a cream online that is awesome. After one day he is cleared up. The website is www.dermatechrx.com.

Anonymous said...

bla

Anonymous said...

[color=#88a91b]Great post! thank you for sharing this information. cakerwakers.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#88a91b]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]