Saturday, February 24, 2007

Being crafty and shit

Well, it is official. I am a total jackass. Yesterday, Porgie and I went to the local craft store. I went there to purchase some scrapbook supplies, but I ended up buying a book, some yarn, and a crochet needle. Yes, I decided to teach myself how to crochet.

I was extremely excited about making Porgie a blanket or booties or a whole damn outfit. The possibilities were endless. As I drove home, I had images of me effortlessly crocheting, while Porgie innocently played nearby. It was a lovely day dream, just lovely.

I must inform you that I often talk about being crafty, but I rarely ever follow through. For example, John bought me a sewing machine shortly after Porgie was born. I was going to make curtains and baby clothes and Halloween costumes. To date, I have never sewn a damn thing. I can't even figure out how to use the machine. I definitely should have paid more attention in home economics class.

When I got home, I eagerly started reading the crocheting book. It sounded easy enough. I even managed to make a basic chain. However, by page 4 I was completely lost.

Why am I so lame?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sewing is hard, yo. I (inexplicably) got myself a sewing machine in college, and ended up having to pay some old lady to teach me how to work it. For the first few weeks I used it I wore my skiing goggles because this one time the needle had broken and gone flying into my face. Until the baby leg warmers, the only thing I'd ever really sewn is a very poorly-fitting dust-cover for the damn sewing machine itself. So if you can make even a potholder, I will be so impressed! I'm not even really sure what crocheting is!

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I choked on the sewing machine bit. I, too, own a sewing machine that I have NO freaking clue how to thread, much less operate.

re: crochet - what I recommend is looking into taking a class! Most yarn stores offer classes. Seriously - that is how I finally learned how to knit. Unlike, say painting or pottery, crochet and knitting are nice hobbies when you have a kid because it is easy to pick 'em and put 'em down according to the severity of your kid's cries. :-)

Christy said...

Eva,
You are so funny - Skiing goggles! HA! You'll be happy to know that I managed to make a "coaster" for John's beer. He seemed pretty impressed. I bet you're so proud of me!

Cagey,
Thanks for the suggestion. I signed up for a crocheting class today. I am very excited to learn more.

Anonymous said...

A COASTER? Already? You rock!

Mary said...

Crocheting is definitely easier to learn from a person rather than a book. Have fun in your class! I am working on a blanket for Claire, but I haven't done much for it-I've been a slacker!

My DH got me a new sewing maching last year. I have made a few things, but mostly I use it to sew on scrapbook pages and cards: not exactly what he thought that I would do!