Monday, February 26, 2007

Naps are for suckers!

Porgie has been having some napping issues lately. It started last Saturday, when she absolutely refused to take an afternoon nap. I fruitlessly tried to make her take a nap for more than an hour. She was wide awake and ready to play.

For the next hour, I complained about how fussy she was going to be. I told John that she would have a meltdown by 6:00 pm. I was certain that she was going to transform into a little monster.

I was completely wrong. She was fine. She played and cooed and laughed until 7:30 when she went to sleep for the night.

The next day, I faced the same struggle during the afternoon nap. Once again, she stayed up until bedtime, without much fussing or whining. John kept saying, "Maybe she doesn't need two naps anymore." I looked at him with fury and hate. I (me, Christy, mommy) NEED her to take two naps. She wears me out. I need that time to relax and to go to the bathroom and to maybe even eat lunch.

Fortunately, she took both of her naps today. When do babies usually go down to one nap per day? Surely it can't be at eight months. Personally, I think she should continue to nap twice per day until she enters school. That sure would be nice!

On a different note, the crocheting is coming along nicely. Despite my ignorance, I have continued practicing. I should take some pictures of my creations. They are pretty funny to look at - they are misshaped and sloppy.

I should totally crochet all of my Internet friends one of my signature "coasters" (a misshaped square). You'll love it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I need naptime. It's naptime right now. It's my favorite time of the day! I can eat! And, you know, pump. I'm pumping right now.

Babies all do different things (as you well know). But when I was a nanny, the baby took two naps a day until she was at least a year old, I think older.

My baby DOES get superduper cranky when she skips a nap. We just put her to bed earlier. We did that last night, in fact.

How is she sleeping at night? You should, like, have a log on your website so we can check her nightly awakenings total.

Here's to naptime!

Ashley said...

Naptime is a sacred time in our household so I understand you wanting her to keep 2 naps. I remember around 10 months Aiden went through a week of having one nap around 10 that would be a few hours long and then he wouldnt nap in the afternoon and was perfectly happy. He then went back to 2 naps after that. It coincided with getting his first teeth. Hopefully it is just a brief stage for Porgie. When Aiden finally went to one nap regularly he was 14 months old. He now has one 2 hour nap a day.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

It is definitely different from baby to baby. My kid started to phase out the morning nap at around 11 months. However, I welcomed it because it meant he was taking one GOOD nap per day (we had always struggled with napping before that). However, I have some friends whose kids napped until 18months - lucky beyotches! ;-)

Hang in there - she might just be having a bad few days.

My sister had some great advice regarding babies - they are human, too and sometimes just have bad days like we adultsdo . That helps me get through the rough days.

Christy said...

Eva,
Porgie is still waking up twice per night. As usual, I am so TIRED. I really like your idea about keeping a log. That is something to think about.

Anonymous said...

My son is about a week from being 9 months and he rarely will take an afternoon nap anymore. I asked the teacher at our baby class last week about this and she said that yes, they can in fact stop napping twice at this age. Usually not until they are about a year old but some babies give up that second nap this early. Craaaaaap.

I still attempt the nap each day because sometimes he does fall asleep. I get some baby-free time even if he doesn't sleep because he'll just play in the crib for about 45 minutes before he starts to fuss.

I figure it can't hurt for him to have some alone time. He probably gets tired of seeing me sometimes too!

Amber said...

I remember the day my older one quit taking naps, it was a sad day!! I love nap time in my household! I even now make my older one lay down too until his brother is asleep! Both my boys were down to one nap a day at 12 months! But I agree with some of these other comments it's better when it's one nap per day cuz the nap usually lasts 2-3 hours!