Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How I introduced solids... Please note, I am not an expert. I am a jackass.

Before we get started, I want you to know something very important. I know as much about introducing solids, as any first time mother. With that said, let's get started.

__________
As you already know, Porgie developed eczema as a newborn. According to her pediatrician, this puts her at a higher risk for developing food allergies. Therefore, the doctor recommended that Porgie not have solid foods until at least 6 months. Apparently, babies who are given food too early are also at increased risk of developing food allergies. So, I am going to play it cautious and recommend that all babies wait until they are 6 months old before eating solids.

Before starting solids, I read this book. It has a wonderful chapter on introducing solids and finger foods. Also, there are lots of kid friendly recipes in the back of the book. However, this book is geared toward vegetarians. I should probably mention that I am a vegetarian, and I will be raising Porgie as a vegetarian too. All this means for you is that I will not be discussing how to introduce meats into an infants diet.

My Routine vs. Solids
I was very stressed out about introducing solids. I was confused about how many ounces of veggies I should feed her vs. how many ounces of formula I should feed her. No one really explained this to me, and I found it very frustrating. My biggest fear was that she wouldn't get enough calories during the day, thereby waking me up even more during the night to eat.

With this said, I stupidly tried to keep our daytime bottle feeding/napping schedule the same, while squeezing in a meal of solids somewhere during the day. This did not work. Porgie wasn't hungry enough to eat the solids, and I was growing increasingly frustrated. So, I changed our schedule completely - even naps.

Prior to introducing solids, Porgie was taking three naps per day. She had a strong sucking to sleep association, and would only take a nap while drinking a bottle. This is what a typical day prior to solids looked like:
7:30 - up for the day
9:30 - feed 6 oz bottle/nap
1:00 - feed 6 oz bottle/nap
4:00 - feed 6 oz bottle/nap
7:30 - feed 6 oz bottle/ go to sleep for the night
In the weeks leading up to introducing solids, Porgie was starting to refuse the 4:00 nap. I stubbornly tried to make her take a nap anyways. When I realized that our schedule was going to have to change due to the introduction of solid foods, I decided to put Porgie on a 2 nap per day schedule. This is what her new schedule looked like:
7:30 - up for the day
9:30 - feed 6 or 8 oz bottle/nap
12:00 - 2 ounces of fruit
2:30 - feed 8 oz bottle/nap
5:30 - 2 ounces of veggies
7:30 - feed 8 oz bottle/go to sleep for the night
This is the feeding schedule we still use, except I now feed her a little fruit in the morning too. Her sleeping schedule is basically Moxie's 2-3-4 schedule.

You will notice that I went straight to two solid meals per day. Some people recommend starting with only 1 meal, and slowly working your way up. Porgie NEEDS a pretty rigid schedule to be a happy baby. Not wanting to change our schedule multiple times, I just took the plunge, and started out with two meal per days. This worked out great for Porgie.

First Foods and Picky Eaters
I was very fearful that Porgie would develop food allergies. Therefore, I was very cautious about introducing new foods. I only introduced one new food at a time, and feed it for at least 5 days before moving on to a new food. This gave me ample time to watch for signs of an allergic reaction (rash, wheezing, stomach ache, diarrhea, etc.).

The very first food I gave Porgie was rice cereal (1 tablespoon of cereal added to 3 tablespoons of formula). The first several times I feed her, it was very cute. However, the cuteness quickly wore off. It turned out the Porgie didn't really like rice cereal. She started crying every time the spoon came within 10 feet of her clamped little mouth. VERY ANNOYING. After trying for five unsuccessful days, we moved on to oatmeal. I encountered the same results. So, I stopped trying to feed her cereal. It just isn't worth it. She was miserable and so was I. However, you should definitely try to feed your baby cereal. It is a great source of iron, especially for breastfeed babies.



Porgie's doctor recommended that I start Porgie on green veggies first. She explained that some babies who start out on fruit, will never want to eat vegetables. I blindly followed her advice, but in hindsight I think this theory is a crock of shit. Babies like what they like, regardless of the order you introduce foods. Go on and introduce fruits first if you want to. It won't matter in the long run.

Following doctor's orders, I started Porgie on sweet peas. She hated them. Next I gave her green beans. She hated them. I was starting to think that Porgie didn't like any food. But then I tried carrots. She LOVED the carrots, would eat the entire 2 oz. jar. It was amazing. This was an important turning point for Porgie. Meal time finally started being fun, instead of frustrating. Here is a list of the other foods I tried and Porgie's response to them:
sweet potatoes - LOVES
squash - LOVES
bananas - HATES
apples - HATES
pears - LIKES/HATES (depending on the day)
peaches - LIKES/HATES (depending on the day)
prunes - LIKES (works great for constipation, but causes diarrhea if she is not constipated)

For two months, I attempted to feed Porgie 2 or 3 meals of solids per day (not that she always ate. She is a little stinker!). Just in case you haven't heard, your baby's poo will match what she eats. For example, Porgie likes carrots, so many of her poo poos are bright orange. Have fun!!!

Finger Foods
At the end of the seventh month, I decided to try some finger foods with Porgie. We started with bread. I would toast a slice of bread and cut it into 4 strips. At first, I was terrified that she would start choking, but she didn't. She gagged occasionally, but has never really choked - thank goodness! Porgie loves feeding herself and it is very liberating for me as well. I was growing pretty tired of the whole "baby sits in the highchair, while I try to navigate food into her mouth before she slaps the spoon away and gets carrots all over the floor" routine.

When I seen that Porgie could successfully feed herself bread, I made her some flax seed waffles to eat too. Yummy! Next, we tried various pasta noodles. She had a hard time getting the floppy pasta noodles into her mouth, but she managed to eat few bits.

Now, I find myself constantly giving her some of whatever I am eating - pieces of banana, sips of rice milk, slivers of apples, yogurt, refried beans, mashed potatoes, etc. I no longer wait 5 days between introducing new foods, although I know that I should.

Since Porgie started feeding herself, she has began grabbing food off of my plate. For example, last weekend I was eating a burrito and talking to my husband. A few minutes later, I noticed that Porgie was chewing on something. I had no idea what she could be eating, so I frantically pulled the object out of her mouth. It was a piece of the tortilla. She had ripped it off of the burrito when I wasn't looking. She is a sneaky little devil!

Should She be Eating This?
I have decided that Porgie can try anything I am eating - however, I am trying to be vigilant about not giving her too much dairy (because babies really shouldn't have dairy and also because of her eczema). We don't eat foods with eggs or honey, so that really isn't a big concern in our household.

It feels good to have Porgie feeding herself. I want to wean her from the bottle at about 1 year - that is less than 4 months away! (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!) So, hopefully we are on the path to three square meals per day, with no bottle.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your feeding adventures.

7 comments:

tifferny said...

LOL! Christy I nearly peed myself reading this! TOOOOOO FUNNY! :)))

First, Porgie is such a cutie! And I love the name Porgie! Is this a nickname or her actual name?
I often call Mikaela "Mika" (pronounced Meeka). People think I am strange when I call her that but they can screw off. ;)

Oh and I did find your post very informative! Funny as shit AND very helpful! Brilliant. :)

Mikaela is currently 4 months and I have decided to wait to introduce solids. I am still doing the whole pumping/formula feeding and she is obviously getting enough. All her stats show that she is growing just fine. Bottles are so damn easy. Why should I unnecessarily complicate my life w/ solids if I don't have to, right?

Christy said...

Tiffany,
Thanks for the compliments. I think Porgie is a cutie too! By the way, Porgie is just a nickname, but that is what I usually call her.

You are very smart to wait until Mikaela is a little older to introduced solids. It is really just a pain in the ass.

I have been going a little overboard with the finger foods. I think I am stuffing Porgie silly. She doesn't even want to drink her bottles anymore.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

The introducing veggies first is a crock of shit in MY book as well. You're right - they like what they like and it keeps changing anyway (which is fun AND frustrating!)

The #1 rule I lived by when doing solids was remembering that until the baby is past 12 months "eating solids is a SKILL to be learned". Meaning, for the first year, a baby's nutrition should be coming from breastmilk (or formula) anyway, so don't sweat the solids if they don't take to it at first.

That helped me so much in the way of relaxing about the whole thing. This was my doctor's mantra and I have read it since in a few other places (i.e. I didn't just come up that myself by pulling it out of my ass or any other orifice :-)

Christy said...

Cagey,
You are totally right about the "eating is a skill to be learned" thing. I should have mentioned this. Sometimes, I feel myself getting frustrated with Porgie during mealtimes. I have to take a deep breathe and tell myself that she will be fine without eating solids.

Great advice!

Anonymous said...

My baby will be six months (!!!) Monday and I'm pretty sure it'll be a while stile before solids. Partly for the reasons you mention. It just sounds like extra work!

That's a great post. So funny.

I have been thinking about a vegetarian diet (but lots of dairy--my husband is Swedish, we eat lots of dairy) for Baby myself. I was a vegetarian for 6 years until I got married to a meat-making man.

I totally hadn't considered changing our schedule to accommodate foods. Another reason to put it off! I like our schedule!

How did you get her to take a sippy cup? And did you make any foods or mostly buy? If buy, what buy?

Christy said...

Eva,
I hated changing our schedule too. It took me so long to get Porgie on a good sleeping schedule. It almost killed my soul to change it - but it worked out great. Porgie use to take three 45 minute to 1 hour naps. Now she takes 2 - 2 hour naps. I feel like I have so much more free time.

When Porgie was about 6 months old, I started giving her a sippy cup filled with water, but she just played with it. To help her understand the concept, I started letting her take drinks of water from my glass. Water would be dripping down her chin and soaking her clothes, but she LOVED drinking from my cup. After a week or two, I filled a sippy cup up with water and I drank from it all day. When Porgie started whining for a drink, I gave her the sippy cup and she gulped the water down. She still has trouble tilting the cup back far enough, but I don't mind helping her.

Because I am a lazy asshole, I buy most of Porgie's food. I have made a few things, like mashed potatoes. I usually buy "Earth's Best Organic" or "Gerber Organic". By the way, Target's baby food is much cheaper than most grocery stores (and formula too).

Anonymous said...

The best deals I've gotten on formula are actually at Babies R Us. I just saved something like 56 dollars on 7 cans there between their prices and Similac checks (yes, we are name brand formula buyers which is weird because in everything else we are total cheapskates).