Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Appreciative

In 2005, my husband took a job with a national company. This business has offices located across the United States. When John accepted the job, he was informed that he would be traveling often and that he could possibly be relocated to the east coast. I found the idea of relocating very exciting. I was desperate for change. I didn't want to live my entire life in the same podunk town in Kentucky. For as far back as anyone can remember, my family has always lived in Kentucky. My grandmother, mother, aunts, uncles, brothers, and cousins all currently live in Kentucky (in the same town even). And they always will.

In the Fall of 2005, John's company approached him about moving to New Jersey. We JUMPED at the chance. They told him in October, and by January we were already living in New Jersey. We made the move when I was 20 weeks pregnant. And although my family was a little bitter about the whole thing, I was elated. We were less than an hour from the beach! Twenty minutes from Philadelphia! Forty-five minutes from Atlantic City! An hour and half from New York! WOW!

I was pregnant when we arrived, so we didn't really go anywhere because I was fat and tired and cranky. We did go to the beach a few times right before Porgie was born, but it was still too cold to swim. After she was born in June, we didn't go back to the beach for an entire year. The next summer I had a 1 year old, and I was 20 weeks pregnant with Izzy. We went to the ocean a few times, but after I fell in the ocean with my baby girl, I decided that a clumsy pregnant woman should definitely NOT be romping around in the ocean. The next summer, Izzy was only 8 months old, and I wasn't really too keen on lugging my immobile baby around the beach for hours on end.

But this year? OH MY GOD, the beach is soooooo fun. My kids love it. I love it. John loves it. Today was the best. We headed down to the beach after nap time. We left at 3:00, arrived at 3:50, and were playing in the ocean by 4:00. Porgie loved running into the ocean, splashing and kicking her feet. Izzy loved digging in the sand and hunting for seashells. And mommy loved watching her babies have fun. John and I took turns going out into the ocean to swim. After 2 1/2 hours of fun, we decided to go get some pizza for dinner. And then we drove home. We got back around 7:30 and the kids were asleep in their own beds by 8:30. AMAZING!

Today I am feeling grateful for my simple little life here in New Jersey. Life is good friends.

23 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

What a great post! I wish we were near a good beach.

J'Ollie Primitives said...

sounds like that two-year wait was worth it!

Kris said...

:-D I wish we could go to the beach more often, its not too far... only a few hours lol. Glad you like where you live, that's always nice!

misguided mommy said...

dude is it even warm there? your beach looks freezing compared to my 102 degree beach

Constance the 63rd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Jiff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Yeah, I felt the same way about getting out of my home town. Wouldn't move back for all the money in the world!

amanda said...

soak it up friend - you deserve every ounce of this fun in the sun :)

Nellie said...

How fun! I wish I was near the ocean!! All I've got is the filthy Mississippi!

Unknown said...

Ah, the beach. I'm glad you are in a happy place. :)

Chris said...

That's awesome! I totally understand getting the timing right with little people. They're the perfect age now. Oh, and I'm totally jealous of you. :)

Rachel said...

Wow you are so lucky to be that close. I am so happy you guys had a blast.

Anonymous said...

YAY!! You FINALLY made it to the beach! Wait....that doesn't look like Strathmere, or Sea Isle...
Is it Brigantine?

Stefanie said...

The simple times are the best times.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoy it. I grew up on the beach in southern California and it was our park. We were there daily. Even during winter it was still nice to go sit on the sand wrapped in a blanket and watch the waves. While I don't miss it terribly, I do have fond memories of all those years and I know your kids will, too.

Just Jiff said...

Oddly enough, I moved back to my hometown after living away for 10 years. Works out well for us, though.

We go to the lake all the time. Bayley LOVES the water.

dani said...

it's funny, christy, kentuckians usually don't gravitate far from home, do they!!?!? maybe it's just a midwest thing:)
i love that you all are enjoying nj so much; having a beach that close would be awesome!!!
i've missed reading you and cannot believe how much p & i have grown.
love,
dani

Laura McIntyre said...

Oh i would so love to live next to a beech , ok well maybe i should rephrase that as we could be at a beech in about 30 minutes - i want to live in a country that has sunshine so we could go to the beech.

Anyways looks like fun

JMTSMOMMA said...

I love these photos! I wish it didn't rain every single effing day here so we could go to the beach!

Anonymous said...

Yep, you're pretty lucky! I live near, uh, the Mississippi. We don't go there though....HA...

Danielle said...

so fun! wish we lived closer to the beach- e loves it!

Amber said...

Sounds like a great day! The beach would be nice to live near!

Alicia W. said...

Where the hell is the sun? I live about a hour and a half from the beach.. just a pain in the ass drive with sand in your crotch. :)