Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sleeping too much? Is that possible?

My son wakes up at 7:00 am almost every day. Sometimes he wakes up at 6:30 am, which really sucks. But for the last few days, he has slept until 8:00 am. This would be awesome if my kids were flexible little people. But unfortunately, they are not.

Today Izzy woke me up at 8:40. Fuckity, fuck, fuck! This meant that we had 45 minutes to eat breakfast, get dressed, and drive to story time. Somehow, we managed to make it. But I felt disheveled and out-of-sorts the entire morning. When nap time rolled around, I knew that I was in trouble. Although I put the kids down 40 minutes later than usual, but they still weren't ready for bed. Izzy cried for an entire hour before he finally fell sleep. Porgie never slept. Since Izzy didn't fall asleep until well after 2 pm, I decided to let him nap until 3:30 (I usually wake him up by 3:00 or he won't fall sleep easily at night). And now, it is 9:00 pm and Izzy is still whining in his damn crib.

In summary, sleeping in is only fun when you don't have children. Otherwise, it is a pain in the asshole.

(side note: Porgie will sleep FOREVER if I let her. That is why she isn't mentioned much in this post. She is my good little sleeper.)

7 comments:

Antropóloga said...

Yeah, my kid's a good sleeper, and still I find ways to be upset I am getting woken up in the morning. :)

Laura Marchant said...

I have the opposite problem. I fear LM sleeps too much. He can sleep 12 hours at night and then take 2-3 hour naps. He is 17 months old!!!

Chris said...

Isn't it crazy how a little change in sleeping can mess up the entire day? Right there with ya!

Rachel said...

I never want to wake a baby but sometimes I will in that case. And also I tagged you. I dont know if you do these things but I do want to hear your answers. HUGS Christy!

Jen said...

Coleton is an erratic sleeper. I never know what he is going to do. I have tried schedules and routines galore and nothing works. One day he will wake up at 8, nap at 12 and go to bed at 9. The next day he will wake up at 6:30, nap at 4 PM! and go to bed at 10:30. And on and on it goes..

amanda said...

i also get this.

i never knew that sleep would become my day breaker or my day maker each and every day.

awww the good ole days of sleep :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm a mean mom. I'd wake them up.