Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pudgy cat

I have always been an animal lover. Since I was a small child, I have always tried to rescue all the stray neighborhood animals. As an adult, I have acquired many animals - 4 cats and 2 dogs. My animals have always been the center of my world. However, since Porgie's birth, I have not paid nearly enough attention to my furry friends.

A few days ago, I noticed that one of my cats (pudgy) was coughing. The cough didn't sound too bad, and she seemed to be fine in every other way. If I had heard her cough before Porgie was born, I would have rushed her to the vet. But this time, I decided to take a wait and see approach.

It was my hope that Pudgy would be better in a few days. However, this morning Pudgy was gasping for air. We called our regular vet office, but the vet was not in. So, we started calling around to other offices. No-one was willing to see our cat. Everyone kept saying, "We are all booked." My cat was dying and all these bastards were too busy to see her. Finally, someone gave us the number of an emergency animal hospital. We called, only to find out that there were no vets in the office! Can you believe that shit?

I continued calling vet offices out of the phone book, until someone finally agreed to see her. John just left to take her in. I can't help but feel a little guilty about poor pudgy's condition. I should have taken her to the vet 3 days ago.

3 comments:

Antropóloga said...

You didn't know. Don't beat yourself up about it. We do wait-and-see all the time, too. Hopefully all will be well. Can't believe that about all the vets being out!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is ok with Pudgy-cat. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Mary said...

I hope Pudgy is okay. You couldn't possibly know what would happen.