Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Minivans are for losers

John and I have been looking for a new vehicle. And by new, of course I mean used. After looking into prices, gas mileage, and space, we have decided to buy a minivan. Yes, a minivan. I am going to drive a minivan. No offense to anyone who drives a minivan, but I am way too awesome to drive a minivan.

We can't afford much right now (we are still paying on Porgie's hospital bills, our bedroom furniture, and various credit card bills). In an effort to be fiscally responsible, we have been looking at used car dealerships. Things have not been going too well.

A few weeks ago, John went to a dealership down the street from our house. He saw three vans that seemed to meet our criteria. Unfortunately, the first two vehicles would not start. While test driving the third van, it broke down. Obviously we are not buying a minivan from that dealership.

Yesterday, we went to another dealership. They had a minivan that appeared to be in very nice condition. Upon closer inspection, it became evident that the van was a piece of crap. The inside smelled like a damn zoo. I swear, they had to be keeping monkeys in the back or something. It was rank. Then, we noticed that the side trim was being held in place by duct tape. You heard me correctly - duct tape. However, the minivan did run really good. So, we approached the salesman about lowering the price - BECAUSE THE SIDE WAS BEING HELD TOGETHER WITH DUCT TAPE. He absolutely refused to come down on the price. There is no way in hell I am paying $7,000 for a van that is held together with duct tape and smells like a zoo.

So, the search continues. It is actually incredibly hard to find the time to go car shopping. And finding a decent minivan for under $10,000 is next to impossible. Wish me luck in my quest to become a boring housewife.

14 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

I'm wishing you luck...but I dont know if you can find a decent one for under $10K.

Why a mini-van now?
Why not something smaller & affordable now, and then upgrade when you get some of the debt paid down???

Suz said...

I think that minivans are cool. The doors slide, the seats fold down, they have more cup holders than you would ever need, and they hold A LOT of stuff. I lurve our mini-van, but I think that I'm just a geek at heart (and otherwise). However, I think that finding one under 10K has got to be really, really hard.

Amber said...

hehehe.....I own a minivan and not just any minivan I own the minivan that my parents purchased when I was ten years old!! So now I'm driving my kids around in the same minivan that I drove around in as a kid! Never thought that day would come! I wish you luck on your journey towards the minivan club/boring housewife!

Antropóloga said...

Maybe you could get a station wagon? I love mine. I used to cart THREE KIDS around in it, too, when I nannied, and it's just a little Jetta.

And you could check the classifieds? Surely it can be done! But you have had some crazy bad luck so far. The breaking-down-while-test-driving story is CLASSIC.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/used-minivan-prices-reviews.htm

Rachel said...

Good luck! I own a Jeep Cherokee and could not be happier. Car shopping stinks.

Rachel said...

Good luck! I own a Jeep Cherokee and could not be happier. Car shopping stinks.

Ashley said...

Getting a "new" vehicle is exciting. I just have to say that I have never been bothered by what I drive and I LOVE our mini van. It is spacious, comfortable and good on gas compared to SUV's. I am a proud mini-van Momma! I cant wait for you to join the club! LOL

S said...

What about a quasi-station wagon similar to this:
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M3H&bhcp=1

You'll get the gas mileage, etc. Granted, it won't be as big as a mini-van but maybe that's a good thing right now w/gas prices, repair & maintenance costs.

We've had our Mazda Protege since 2000 and have only had minor things come up (replace tail light, battery, oil changes, etc).
It's pretty roomy, too.

I'm not being partial to Mazdas (ok, well maybe a little bit LOL), but there are many 5 door styles out there you could look at.

Ok, that's my $0.02. :-)

Chastity said...

Oh how I wish you live here..I just saw a Ford Freestyle (which is a crossover vehicle...looks like an SUVish minivan has 3rd row seating)...2006 model, 26K miles, automatic...for $11,500...this is the car I wanted last summer when we were looking but we couldn't find a used one. You should look into those..they are awesome.

Em said...

Good luck, funny post because the 'i am way to awesome for a minivan' is something i'd say! I remember going from a sports coupe to a family 5door and fingers crossed next time around we dont have twins (both family they run in) or i'll be joining you!

Lainey-Paney said...

I used to be one to say "I'm too awesome for a minivan"...but I agree with some other posters who point out all of the cool features of mini-vans now.
Gotta admit: some are nicer than a lot of homes I've been in before...

...movable seats...
...multiple flip-down tvs...
...sliding/automatic closing doors...

Cristina Mathers said...

totally know how you feel on this one. i toohad a hard time with the mini van thing. i ended up getting an SUV. good luck in your search, i know how hard it can be!

Mary said...

Lots of luck on your search! I considered getting a mini-van once when E was 2 or 3. We had one for a rental and I loved all of the space, cup holders, and built in car seat!

Anth said...

Ha ha, sucka! A minivan.

Well, we'll still be your friends after you go to the dark side. Good luck in your search.