Monday, August 31, 2009

Libraries are lame

I am about to boycott the library. We have craptastic library in our city, that is staffed completely by volunteers. It sucks ass. The selection of books is awful. And they don't even have CDs or DVDs. No, they have cassette and VHS tapes. Seriously? What year is it? 1987? Geesh.

But despite this, I have been going to the library every week with the kids. I have a routine. I always bring in the books from the week before on the day that we check out new books. Last week, the librarian informed me that I had 4 books that were overdue. I kindly explained that I didn't, because I ALWAYS bring back the previous week's books on the day I check out more books. But she insisted that these 4 books were not returned. In fact, she claimed that they were nearly two weeks overdue. BUT THEY WERE RETURNED. And why didn't anyone mention the overdue books last week? I asked her to check the shelves, because I am 100% positive that I returned the books. She said she would look into it, but she looked annoyed.

Today is library day. I am going to flip my wig if they haven't found those damn books.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I have no complaints about my local library. If the book I'm looking for isn't on the shelf, I can request a copy from any library in Delaware County. Local library calls me to tell me it's there, I go at lunch break to pick it up, easy squeezy lemon peezy.

My only gripe is the the children's section is NOT filed properly. Seems like the books are all hodge-podge. No dewey decimal system in effect here folks, just random book placement. Not even alphabetical by author, title or category. And it doesn't seem like the books are catagorized into sections either, there are picture books in with chapter books and early readers.
Hopefully the clerk will have found the returns for you (if she even looked)

Amanda said...

How annoying for you! Hope it's all sorted out ~ pronto!!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

:-( I always wondered what would happen if they missed checking one in.

Antropóloga said...

Huh, I never have these problems. At my old ilbrary I was constantly telling them I'd returned stuff (even if I later found out I still had it) and they would totally go with it. And our new library is really nice, too.

amanda said...

we had to start going to the library in the next town bc our storytime girl was slightly crazy.

hoping todays visit was much better!

Jen said...

That sucks! I haven't really checked out our main library yet, but the one by my house sucks too. No books worth checking out, no cool story times, NOTHING. I guess we will have to go downtown. Boo.

Clare said...

that stinks! i don't really love our library either, there is one in particular that always seems picked over!

Kris said...

I'm sorry! Every library I've been to here has been a little bitty one w/ hardly any selection... I know there's gotta be better ones but none in walking distance. I haven't been since Kalila was born even though it would be really good to take her. Instead we go to Half Priced and I end up buying her more...

Chris said...

So... did the find the books? I'd be ticked too - especially when you are absolutely certain that you returned them!