Sunday, August 23, 2009

Neurotic

I finally made a decision regarding preschool. Instead of following your sage advice, I decided not to send Porgie to school this year. I don't think that she is ready, and I am 100% positive that I am not ready. I have attachment issues. Serious attachment issues.

To be honest, I felt peer pressured into enrolling her in three year old preschool. I thought, "Everyone else's kid is going to school, so my kid needs to go to." Which is just crazy. Porgie is still a baby. She is just barely out of diapers for crying out loud (To be honest, some days she is still in them). And my heart was breaking at the prospect of leaving her in someone else's care. I know that it was only for 2 hours, for 2 days per week, but it felt wrong. So, she is staying home with me for one more year (or maybe 20).

However, Porgie is starting ballet class in 2 weeks. Additionally, I am thinking about enrolling her in soccer this fall. John doesn't think she'll like soccer, so we are still debating this one. Now that she has some extra activities to attend, I am feeling less guilty about skipping preschool (I am not entirely sure why I felt guilty to begin with, but I did).

It feels good to have finally made a decision. And it feels even better to know that I followed my gut and not my friends. I am going to soak up every ounce of my baby girl. I don't want to miss a minute.

15 comments:

misguided mommy said...

i wouldn't send brandon until he was fully potty trained because no one needed to be down in his business.

second, i wouldn't send him until he could talk clearly and understand everything that happened so he could tell me if he was touched wrong, hit, yelled at etc.

i was just as neurotic.

Unknown said...

That's what I'm doing, too.

Kris said...

Good for you! I know that's gotta be a hard decision and as much as we want to send Kalila at that age... I have no idea how I'll feel at that point either lol.

Alicia W. said...

Good for you! You went with your instincts and I know you must feel great about it.

Lainey-Paney said...

Well, Gage is going & he's 3. BUT---he's almost 4. He turns 4 less than a month after school starts.
AND---he had to be potty trained before they'd enroll him. He was NOT at the beginning of this past year. He didn't get potty trained until he was 3 years & 7 months (but hey---who's counting, right?)

Jen said...

I don't blame you. If you and Porgie aren't ready then you're not ready! I, on the other hand, am ALREADY READY for Cole to go to Preschool. He is ready too... only he is only 21 months old. I guess we'll have to wait a while. Oh well!

pitapocketmom said...

Good for you! I wanted to keep my almost 4 year old home this school year and was pressured into sending him my many. He went to school 2 days a week last year and i was being selfish and wanted to keep him home before he went to kindergarten. This year is 2and a half hours EVERYDAY. Im glad you listend to your heart. Porgie is going to love ballet!!

Just Jiff said...

Hard decisions, but never listen to anyone but yourself.

I wouldn't start preschool until age 4, but that's just me. You know your kid best, so do what you think is right. :)

Bon said...

i am the mommy who's had my kid away from me for at least 3 days a week since he was 14 months old and now is sending the 11 month old out 5 days a week. sigh. and i still feel that lack of readiness you talk about. :)

mind you i'm still nursing the baby i send out to the sitter's 5 days a week and plan to continue, and that's mostly about where i'm not ready to give her up, so i completely, totally get it.

Stephanie said...

You know better than anyone else what is best for your children. You can ask advice, but in the end, the decision is yours.

anymommy said...

I think that's great. Do what feels right to you. My two oldest are just starting preschool this year and they are four! I did a toddler class with them last year that I attended too. We had a lot of fun and I loved having that extra year with my "babies."

amanda said...

you know where i stand on this.

and i am super proud of you.

Nellie said...

I have enrolled Ellie but am second guessing myself. I feel like 3 year old preschool is kinda silly... she'll still have 4 year old and kindergarten before 1st grade... and it's not like she's stupid... I know she'd be fine... I just feel this pressure from the outside world... in-laws, my parents, etc... what to do, what to do??

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You have to wait until she's ready. :) So glad you're making a decision!

And the ballet.. gosh she's so cute.

Clare said...

good for you!! i think every family just has to make the right decision for themselves. go mama!!