Monday, August 3, 2009

It is all so confusing

This is the last post I am going to write about preschool. I know I keep bringing up this issue, which should really be a non-issue. Why am I so confused? IT IS PRESCHOOL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Who cares - right? Well, I do. This issue has been keeping me up at night.

I began looking into preschools because I wanted Porgie to socialize with other children. I wanted her to have fun with other 3-year-olds. I wanted her to get used to being in a more structured learning environment, without my constant presence. I am not very concerned with academics at this point. Really, I just want her to get used to playing appropriately with children her own age.

After I sent in the registration fee, I started having doubts. Geesh, she is just three. Why am I rushing her off to school? A three year old is happiest when she is with mommy and daddy. Why not let her stay at home and be happy? After all, she isn't going to be little forever. I should savior these moments and be happy that I can spend so much time with my precious little girl.

A month or two later, I changed my mind again. It would be really nice to have some one-on-one time with Izzy. He still wasn't talking much. I thought that maybe spending more quality time with him would help? It couldn't hurt - right?

So it was decided. I was going to send Porgie to school. So, I started trying to potty train her (a prerequisite for the school). But that wasn't working out too well. For an entire month, she refused to sit on the potty. She claimed that she was a baby, and she insisted on wearing diapers. FINE! No preschool. The director of the school had informed me that tuition money was non refundable. There is no way in hell I am going to send in my first payment without having her potty trained.

And then out of the blue, Porgie asked to sit on the potty Saturday. We put on some big kid underwear, and she stayed dry all day. ALL DAY. She told me that she wants to go to preschool, so she is going to start going potty. Wow! I wasn't expecting that.

But now, I am back at it again. Do I want my baby girl in school yet? And what if the swine flu is really bad this fall? Do I want her to be hanging out with all those germy kids? What if she doesn't like school? I am not going to force her to go. Will I lose all of that tutition money I have paid?

But if I don't send her, how am I going to explain it to her? She is expecting to go to school - even more so now that she is finally agreeing to use the potty.

I don't know whether I am coming or going? Being a parent is hard.

15 comments:

Chris said...

Is preschool part-time (a few days a week). If Porgie is really excited and it's just a few days, it might be good for everyone! She's little, but she will gain a lot of confidence in playing with others.

Whatever your decision, it'll be fine. Go with your heart!

Laura Marchant said...

I would let her go just for the fact that she potty trained herself for it, lol.
Our preschool is monthly payments, do you have to pay it all up front?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Send her to school. Preschool is great. And it's only for a few hours.

Just Jiff said...

I think that she's VERY excited and you should at least try. Do they let you send her for a bit and try it out? I'm a big proponent of pre-school, but I also am a mom who would LOVE to be able to stay at home with my daughter all day. So, I can totally see how you'd be torn.

Preschool motivated her to be on the path to potty trained, so her reward could be to try it for a little while and see how it (preschool) goes.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Unknown said...

This is a toughie. As you know we dropped out of preschool. If the money won't kill you, you could pay for the first month and see how it goes. Of course, Porgie doesn't know what preschool is course, so you could always pretend some other outing is preschool if you want to get out of that angle of it.

Stefanie said...

Send her. She will love it, even if she has some rough days at first, she will get over it. I totally think that little kids need to build social skills with others their age. Plus, it's not like it is full time. I don't think it would be right to not put her in when she was mature enough to potty train her own self to go. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Jen said...

I totally see where you are coming from. I think the fact that she potty trained herself for it is an indication that SHE is really ready- even if you're not sure if YOU are :)

I plan on sending Cole to pre-school when he is three. I just see how much fun he has when I drop him off at the kid's center at 24 hour fitness! He needs the interaction!

Kris said...

We plan to do it... Mostly because my husband really wants her to go to a Montessori prek like he did. Hopefully that will work out for us lol. If it doesn't I won't worry to much... I can always homeschool prek (I don't want to do that past that though) and find other ways to get socialized. I know she'll be able to join CYO when she's still 3 thanks to her bday lol. I am so looking forward to seeing her play soccer. She already loves it!

Anyways, I think if she wants to go enough she potty trained... That says something.

Anonymous said...

If I could afford it, Cupcake would already be enrolled, because she just turned three this summer... but it's too expensive here right now for us, and paying daycare for the other kid! I have the same concerns as you, though -- potty training, getting socialized, etc.

Not that it's ANY of my damn business, but I think she might really enjoy it, and that you might, too. I think it's good for kids to play with other kids their age, and I'm sure that Izzy would LOVE the special one on one time with you... and I think that every mama can use a break. Even if a "break" means dealing with only one kid at a time.

Anonymous said...

Send her to preschool. She will love it and your baby boy will love the alone time with you. Trust me on this one. I went through the same thing with my two girls and the 'baby' still talks about all the fun things we did together while sissy was at school. And big sister had a blast in preschool. Big time.

amanda said...

a) being a parent is hard. like super hard.

b) i kinda think i will be as torn as you. the mommy in me will want to keep her home. the teacher in me will want to send her.

c) i have a friend who is struggling with the same thing right now - she finally decided to hold off this first semester and then send her the next.

d) although with porgie it sounds like she is ready. high five on the potty training!

e) did i mention it's hard being a mama??

Lainey-Paney said...

can you do part-time?
can you do a mother's day out instead?

Our son's bday is at the end of September. We were going to do 2 years of preK & then Kindergarten. We found the school we want.

But---in light of what's going on w/ the economy & the fact that more layoffs are coming where I work....well, we just don't want to make any financial commitments right now.

But---we really hope to get him into a Mother's Day Out program---2 days a week. It's less expensive than the preschool, but will still give him an opportunity to socialize with others & adjust to being away from family for a few hours a day.

Amanda said...

I can't belive that you have to pay for preschool. Is it alot of money? We just have to pay a weekly fee of £2.50. A pound of that is for their treat fund, the other £1.50 is for their snack.
I can't talk for you, but for my kids, preschool has prepared them well for school.

You'll make the right decision. I'm so happy that Porgie is all potty trained now!

l,
A x

kristi said...

Go Porgie!!!

Hey e mail me if you want to read my new blog. I need your e mail address to add you.

Had to delete my Living Life in TX.

butterflylady97@yahoo.com

kristi said...

Go Porgie!!!

Hey e mail me if you want to read my new blog. I need your e mail address to add you.

Had to delete my Living Life in TX.

butterflylady97@yahoo.com