Thursday, May 17, 2007

Tests make me nervous

Although I know that many mommies disagree, I am pro-choice. I believe that all women should have access to safe and legal abortions, regardless of the situation. With that said, I could never have an abortion. NEVER.

When I was pregnant with Porgie, I refused all of the prenatal testing that looks for genetic problems with the fetus. My greatest fear was that the doctor would find something abnormal, and in true Christy fashion, I would fret and worry until I made myself sick. Because I would never abort my child, I really didn't want to know this information ahead of time.

At my last OB appointment, Dr. S tried unsuccessfully to get me to agree to prenatal testing. She explained that I am not at high risk for having a child with a chromosomal anomaly, but that it can randomly happen to anyone. She also explained how difficult it would be a raise two small children - especially one with a major disability. I still refused that testing.

The sad truth is that John would want me to abort our child if it had a major disability. I don't even want to go down this road with him. So, I choose to remain ignorant and unaware of any disabilities my child many have.

7 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Sometimes, you have to do what you feel comfortable with and then move on. You know yourself best, not your doctor.

We did minimal testing (the multiple marker test) but didn't do much else, even though I am over 35.

Mary said...

I declined all of the testing too. I 'm pro-choice and I wouldn't have an abortion either, but if something was wrong, I didn't even want any discussion to happen about it. Don't do the testing if you're not comfortable with it.

Anonymous said...

Same here. With my "advanced maternal age" (38 & 41), they wanted to run the whole battery of tests... we did the quad screening & our chances were something like 1 in 957 for Down's...the chance of a miscarriage following a CVS test was 1 in 200...we played our odds & won both times. We would have never aborted either, and no matter what people say about how you would be better prepared at the birth, I don;t think that you could *ever* be prepared for that.

I knew deep in my heart that both babies were fine.

Ashley said...

yea, not testing here either.

Ashley said...

I mean, I didnt test, not that I have an opportunity at present to test. LOL

Anonymous said...

You do what feels right to you. I didn't do the tests, either.

What's weird is my friend who is due about when you are was required (according to her) to get the tests done even though she didn't want them. And she's only 28. I always thought you had a choice.

Em said...

Tough one, i had only blood tests but i came very low risk. Although i would have had more. I know this is not everyones choice. My Grandma before she died was the headmistress of a school for disabled children and i still go vist and my Mum goes and cuts hair there. But i've never been in that situation so i'd never know really what i'd do.