Wednesday, May 30, 2007

If I knew you were coming I'd of baked a cake

I know I have mentioned that I don't like to clean. However, I don't think I have told you about my extreme lack of cooking skills. Really, it is not my fault. I am going to blame my mother for this defect in my personality. Yeah, it is totally her fault. Damn mom.

My mother never cooked. Seriously, we ate fast food every night. EVERY NIGHT. I am not kidding or exaggerating. We ate fast food every night. Needless to say, I rarely ever witnessed actually cooking. So naturally, I have never really had an interest in cooking.

John, on the other hand, loves to cook. I let him make dinner about 5 times per week. I would let him make dinner 7 times per week, but he starts getting a little grumpy. Of course when I make dinner, it is always super simple. Pot pies that only require me to turn on the oven. Soup that only requires me to turn on the microwave. You get the picture.

Porgie's birthday is fast approaching, and I want to make her a cake - from scratch. John is a vegan, meaning that he eats no meat, eggs, or diary. This makes baking the cake even more difficult. However, I found a few great recipes in one of his cook books and decided to give it a try.

To be on the safe side, I decided to bake a "test" cake - just to make sure it would turn out okay. This is what happened...




My cake was flat, and the icing was runny. Also, it had lots of floury lumps. I totally suck at this housewife thing. Porgie was very disappointed.


10 comments:

Bon said...

oh. my. god. i really am laughing out loud.

you know what's sad? i'm craving chocolate right now, and i'd eat that whole poor flat little cake in a heartbeat. :)

but sweet Porgie's face...wow. gorgeous.

and how does a vegan eat a potpie? is crust vegan? that takes diligence, man...i'm impressed.

misguidedmommy said...

oh shit thats awesome!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I laughed aloud and my mom wanted to know what was up so I had to show her your post. :) I explained to her what vegan meant and she was entirely dubious that you can make a cake without eggs. So blame it on the lack of eggs!

I very much admire John for the whole vegan thing. That's excellent.

Great pics. :)

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I REFUSE to bake. A year or so back, I made some honest attempts, but when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes, I packed away the baking pans. I sold them at my garage sale this past April. I will be that SAHM who proudly takes store bought goods to her kids' school functions. PROUDLY. :-)

Also, have you tried South Indian cooking? I grew up with a mother who didn't cook (we lived on sandwiches, bleh). When I went to college, I didn't know how to cook ANYTHING. My first college boyfriend taught me Indian/Pakistani - the only thing HE knew, so I still feel most comfortable with Indian cooking. My husband is South Indian so I cook primarily South Indian. It's actually not that complicated and would easily fit into a vegan lifestyle.

Mary said...

LOL...very funny!

Amber said...

I hear ya, I can't cook either! I always wished my mom would've taught me how to cook. Good luck on the cake :-)

Em said...

Sorry but i am laughing! Very funny, cant imagine making a cake with no diary or eggs is easy tho, I am a great cook but i'd be struggling!

Anonymous said...

No butter? ever?? I couldn't do it.

Anth said...

Ha ha Hilarious. Poor Porgie - almost brought to tears by the flat cake. Ha ha

My mom didn't, er that is, doesn't know how to cook, which is in fact why I do know how to cook. I guess I learned as a reaction against her lack of ability.

Lainey-Paney said...

oh honey....that cake....is....well,....it's a mess.
But it is funny as hell!