Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Going to the beach

It was pretty hot out last Saturday, so John and I decided to go to the beach. We packed up our beach towels, sunscreen, and bathing suits. We jumped in the car and headed to Ocean City. It was about an hour drive from our house, so I sat in the back to entertain Porgie and feed her dinner.

We are pretty new to this whole beach thing. Keep in mind that we used to live in Kentucky - 10 hours from the nearest beach. I was wearing capri's and a tee shirt. John was wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Porgie was wearing a onesie. Obviously, we were dressed for some summer fun.

We arrived, only to find all of the other people wearing sweaters and jackets. We got out of the car, and quickly realized that it was at least 30 degrees cooler on the beach. I was shivering, and Porgie looked like a little ice cube.

Because I am always over prepared, I had some pants and a jacket for Porgie. John is always telling me how insane I am for packing everything under the sun, but this time it paid off. If I hadn't bought some warm clothes for Porgie, there is no way in hell we would have stayed at the beach.

After bundling Porgie up, we played in the sand and took a walk along the shore. Of course, it was beautiful. I started to feel incredibly happy about living in New Jersey. Can you believe I only live an hour from the beach? I feel like the luckest girl in the world.

We also went for a walk along the boardwalk. We ate lots of junk food and looked in all the goofy little surf shops. Around 6:30, we decided to head back home. We made it back home by 7:30 and Porgie was asleep in her crib by 8:00. It was a pretty magical day.

I can't wait for summer. Porgie is going to have so much fun at the beach!

10 comments:

Bon said...

i am green with envy. it's supposed to snow here this afternoon.

i'm not even kidding.

someday, spring will come and then O can try out the beach. i can't wait.

Anonymous said...

If you drive another 30 minutes, you could meet up with me & the kids in Sea Isle.......

just a thought.

tifferny said...

glad to hear you had a marvelous time at the beach! good for you for being prepared!!!!!

did you get some salt water taffy and a coney island dog? YUMMMMMMMMMMM.....

although we're not by an ocean, we have lake michigan beaches and believe you me, they are almost as good as the ocean beaches (only more polluted and smaller waves).

Amber said...

I envy you! The nearest beach is 4 hours away from me! So needless to say I never go there! And thank goodness you were prepared with pants and jacket for Porgie! But what no pictures from the beach!? :-(

Ashley said...

I am so glad that you had a good time! I find there is nothing more freeing than the beautiful, warmer weather. It makes everyone feel good to get outside.

Mary said...

Your day sounds great! It is nice living near the beach isn't it? We always get to live near the beach: benefit of DH being a submariner.

Paula said...

Thats sounds so awesome! I'm glad you had a great day!!

Anonymous said...

You know how sometimes you are asked to think of one place where you are always happy? I always choose the beach. And when I can't sleep, I imagine walking along the beach. I'm so glad you guys had fun. :)

Anth said...

Yeah, this one time it was like 90 degrees in our town. We also live abt an hour from the beach, so we were like, "Let's go!" We arrived at the ocean...where it was windy and cold. We learned our lesson from that. Always check weather.com before leaving.

(Btw, to answer your question on my blog - does Baby E eat actual baby food anymore - not really. I occasionally fed her pureed veggies, but now that she's eating corn (and peas!) I don't even do that.)

Em said...

Sounds like fun! We have loads of beach near by but not very clean (think i'm a snob) Like Bon said, we've had hailstones here today and its very wet. Our weather is getting strange!