Monday, May 14, 2007

Heart attack continued...

At 8:30 this morning, Porgie and I were on our way to the doctor's office. Typically, it only takes us about 15 minutes to get to the office. However the mornings are always busy, so with traffic it takes us about 30 minutes to get there. We arrived at promptly 9:00.

Porgie was being a little sweetie. She smiled and waved her arms around and was genuinely adorable. While waiting for the doctor, Porgie ate cheerios and crackers, while I nervously fretted about my blood work results.

Dr. S finally came in, only to announce that she is still baffled by my liver enzyme count. She believes it might be related to my gallbladder. She ordered an ultrasound of my gallbladder, which I still have to call Cooper Hospital to schedule. So basically, we are still in the dark regarding my funky blood work.

Also, my blood pressure was a little high today. Because of the various problems I am already encountering, my pregnancy has officially been classified as "high risk." Those words make my stomach tie into knots.

Finally, Dr. S tried to find the heartbeat using the Doppler. She searched and searched, but was unable to find it. So, we went back to have an ultrasound.

Instantly, a little imagine of a baby popped up on the screen. The baby was very still. I didn't see a heart beat. Dr. S was unusually quiet. She was staring at the screen intensely - a look of seriousness on her face. I knew something was wrong. Tears had already swelled up in my eyes. After several tense minutes, I finally muttered, "Do you see the heartbeat?"

Dr. S quietly answered, "No." I wanted to leave. I wanted to hold Porgie. I wanted to cry.

Suddenly, the little baby on the screen moved. Then it moved again. We all let out a sigh of relief. Dr. S kept saying, "I saw that baby move! Did you see that baby move?" We stared at the screen, while my baby squirmed and wiggled around. The baby moved into a better position, and we finally saw the heart beating.

I shit you not, I almost had a heart attack right there in the ultrasound room. Hands down, this was the scariest OB appointment I have ever had.

I am so lucky and blessed. I just can't wait until this baby is in my arms. Then, I'll finally be able to relax.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD! I was tearing up reading this.

Hopefully, your uls for the gallbladder will good news also.

Amber said...

Oh my gosh, I thought something bad had actually happened but I'm so happy to hear that the baby is fine. And high risk? Wow that doesn't sound fun! I hope everything goes good!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, how awful! I'm glad the baby is ok. I'm sure you're frustrated with not knowing more about the blood work.

Anonymous said...

My mom's liver was weird until she had her gall bladder out. Surely it's as innocuous as that.

So sorry for your scares. Terrifying. So glad all is well.

The fun thing about being high risk is all the ultrasounds!

Thinking of you! Wishing you a boring pregnancy that goes quickly.

tifferny said...

i cannot begin to explain to you how much i am able to empathize with your ob appt today.... i'm very glad your news was good news. :)

Suz said...

Terrifying. So terrifying. I'm glad that all is okay!

Mary said...

I almost had a heart attack reading this! (Obviously I didn't read the previous post first.)

I'm happy to hear that Porgie was cooperative at the appointment and that all is well with baby #2.

Em said...

God i am so glad its all ok, i have tears in my eyes as i write. Scary shit!

Bon said...

keep on breathing, Christy. :)

high risk is scary, and that u/s moment (before the baby moved) must have been terrifying...so sorry you had to go through that. but i'm so glad the little one wiggled for you - a good sign, i hope, of things to come.

and...speaking from experience of my own high risk pregnancy, nope, you won't rest easy until you have that baby in your arms. take it easy on yourself where you can, though...and take good care, sweetie.

karla said...

Phew. Big SIGH of relief over here. I'm so glad little babe is doing fine. Now for making sure that all is well with you too.

Anth said...

Oh my gosh, *I* almost had a heart attack while reading this post!!!!! I am SO glad everything is okay. Yay for your swimming baby!!!

(No heartbeat during the ultrasound...that is how I found out I had miscarried. One of the worst days of my life. I thank God my husband was there.)

misguidedmommy said...

great story...first i was nervous, then i wanted to cry then there was a huge sigh of relief... good story