Friday, May 18, 2007

New doctors and old bills

I finally made an appointment for Porgie at another doctor's office. One of the other moms in our swim class highly recommended a practice about 20 minutes from our house. I researched the practice on my insurance company's website, and discovered that they were in-network.

The receptionist who answered my call was extremely nice and helpful. I really think I am going to like this new office. I basically despised all of the receptionists and nurses at the old pediatrician's office. They were always bitchy and short with me. But, I tolerated their attitude because I loved two of the pediatricians at that office.
__________

The drama is already beginning with the insurance company and my OB. I have already received a bill with out-of-network charges. Apparently, my doctor is in-network, but the location I visited is not. The claim is being resubmitted under the doctor's tax ID, as opposed to the location. Hopefully, everything will be worked out.

I called the billing department at my OB office to complain. The woman I talked to assured me that I will not be responsible for the bill, regardless of what the insurance company decides. Although I am comforted by this information, I am also very concerned about the next 6 months. I am I going to have to call and bitch every time I get a bill? If the bills keep being processed out-of-network, I am probably going to switch my OB (which breaks my heart).
__________

We have lots of bills from the hospital where I delivered Porgie. Every month, we receive 4 bills from different departments. However, for the past 2 months we have only received 2 bills. We just assumed that maybe the insurance company decided to pay a larger portion of the bill. However, we have started receiving calls from a collection agency regarding these two bills. John explained that we have not received these bills, but the jerk on the other end insisted that the bills have been mailed. He told us to contact our post office. WHATEVER. Why would the post office successfully deliver only two of our hospital bills for several months?

I am basically at a loss. If we aren't receiving bills, how in the hell are we suppose to pay them? I have decided not to worry about these bills until we start getting bills in the mail again. Fuck them.

2 comments:

Em said...

Pants the lot of it, if you have insurance why cant you use any doctors?! Very strange but who am i to comment as i know nothing about health ins....

Amber said...

The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Zachary about the not getting the bills and then being sent to collections! It pissed me off because when I tried to explain that I never received any bill they were like "well our records show the date each one was mailed and blah blah blah" There's no way to prove that you didn't get the bill which sucks! I feel for you!