Sunday, March 4, 2007

Slapped upside the head

Over the past few weeks, Porgie has became increasingly active. She squirms and wiggles when I hold her. She flails and flaps her arms when I put her in the exersaucer. She rolls and scoots when I put her on the floor. All this excitement has caught me off guard. I really need to start paying more attention to her actions.

Porgie is becoming a danger to herself. She cracks her head on about 573 different objects per day. The kid is going to be black and blue if I don't start keeping a closer eye on her.

To illustrate this point, I am going to outline a typical day for poor little Porgie.

1. At 7:00 am, Porgie and I are sitting at the foot of my bed playing "pat-a-cake." Suddenly, she tries to dive off the side of the bed. Fortunately I grab her, but not until her head smacks against the bed post.

2. At 9:00 am, I really have to go to the bathroom and Porgie is being fussy. I bring her into the bathroom with me and sit her on the floor. Two seconds later, she falls face first into the side of the tub. Very traumatic.

3. At 11:00 am, Porgie is playing on the living room floor, while I look through the mail. She attempts to crawl closer to me, but ends up bumping her noggin on the side of the coffee table.

4. At 1:00 pm, I am putting my shoes on and Porgie is trying to grab my laces. Somehow, she falls sideways and her face slams into the sole of my shoe.

5. At 3:00 pm, I have a few things to do in the office, so I place Porgie on the floor next to me. She is playing with a board book. A moment later she is screaming bloody murder. She has fallen backward and has conked her head on the base of my chair.

6. At 4:00 pm, I decide that the day is becoming a little too dramatic. I take Porgie into the play room to unwind. She is quickly rolling across the floor, until she slams into the side of my aquarium stand.

7. Finally at 6:00 pm, John gets home from work. Porgie is very excited to see daddy. They are happily playing together until they accidentally bump heads. There are lots of screams and tears.

I am going to have child services called on my ass.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

.....and so it begins!! It will only get worse as she gets more mobile but she will get more resilient over time! Let's hope that the services stay away! LOL

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing they have thick skulls and no memories! This seems a fairly common thing, though. Everyone has stories like these. My baby isn't at all mobile and still bangs herself into things sometimes somehow. My friend witness a recent event, and was like, "Oh no, this must be her first time hurting herself!" But I can't even count all the times poor Baby has gotten hurt tipping over or whatever. But she'll be fine! They all are!

S said...

Been there many times! At least Porgie hasn't drawn blood on your watch! K was playing and managed to bonk his forehead on a corner of the coffee table and getting a pretty good scratch. He looked pitiful with a band-aid on and I felt like crap.

Anonymous said...

Scary isn't it? That little blob of a baby who would just lie there and kick her feet is now MOBILE???!!!

I'm going through the same thing with Will now. He's scootching all over the place & getting trapped under the end tables.
He still hasn't mastered the whole Get up on hands and knees crawl yet, but he Zombie crawls and spins around on his belly.

Amber said...

Kids are amazing creatures! They fall and hurt themselves so much and yet it doesn't seem to affect them much. My older son has constant bruises on his legs and I don't know where any of them came from! And my younger boy is very head heavy and if he falls it is always on his head! I even had to call 911 on him one time he fell and his eyes rolled back into his head and he wouldn't breathe. Pretty scary stuff but all is okay and the kids always end up being fine!

Christy said...

Dear Readers,
Thank you for all of the support and encouragement. You guys are awesome!