Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dead man swimming

Porgie and I went swimming at the YMCA yesterday. It wasn't for a lesson, we just went to yell, splash, and kick our feet. After paying our two dollars, we quickly got ready and walked out to the pool.

Just in case you were wondering, on Monday mornings the YMCA is filled with old people. REALLY REALLY old people. I was the young whippersnapper in the pool.

Swimming with old people is fun, but it kind of freaks you out. On several occasions, I looked over to see a 90 year-old man floating on his back. Fear would rush through my body - was he dead? Fortunately, no one died.

Porgie had a fabulous time. She splashed and squealed in delight. She was a big hit with the old ladies. About 68 different women asked me how old she was. I had to listen to various stories about their children, their husbands, and their grandchildren. Let me tell you, it was FUN.

What is it about old people that makes them want to tell random strangers their life story? When I was in high school, I used to ride the bus to work. Everyday, I would get sucked in by some old person, who rambled on for the entire bus ride.

When you are 90 years-old, please don't tell everyone you meet about your 5 children, your 28 grandchildren, and your crabby old husband. They really don't care.

___________

This week has been very exciting. Porgie managed to crawl about 2 feet forward (we tried in vain to get her to repeat this phenomenal feat, but she refused), sit up on her own (After a nap, I went to get her out of the crib. She was sitting up!?!), and pull herself up on her activity walker (I didn't actually see this one, but John swears it happened). VERY EXCITING!

That insane post I wrote last week about her development, let's just act like that never happened. Okay???

___________

I was tagged by S. for a real moms meme. So here goes...

Real moms use their dogs as vacuum cleaners. Baby throws a noodle on the floor - call for the puppy dogs. Baby smears bananas on the couch - call for the puppy dogs. Baby leaves crumbs on the exersaucer - call for the puppy dogs. I wish I could say that I always wash the surfaces that the dogs lick, but I can't.

If it wasn't for my dogs, my house would be really gross. Thanks to them, it is only kind of gross.

I am not going to tag anyone, but feel free to do this meme on your own blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a big, grown-up baby you have!

Our puppies mostly just make things furrier. But it's okay. They entertain the baby.

During our swim class at the Y, there is a class for old ladies on the other side of the pool. They love to watch us, boy howdy.

Em said...

I'm so jealous - porgie crawled. No seriously thats fantstic!

Well done porgie!!!!!

Amber said...

Yay for Porgie! Isn't awesome to see your child accomplish something!? And as for the old people that's how it is where I work too, ALL morning long it's filled with old people! Luckily I don't have to talk with them and listen to their stories though ;-)