Friday, March 9, 2007

Inner city kids

When I tell people that I am originally from Kentucky, they always look amazed. They mindlessly blurt out, "But you don't have an accent." It is amazing how everyone seems to have a preconceived notion of what a person from Kentucky should be like. Apparently, I am supposed to be a hillbilly.

In reality, I grew up in a very urban environment. Crime, drugs, and poverty ran rampant in my hometown. My family was extremely poor. We never owned a house and we rarely had a running automobile. When we couldn't pay the rent, we left. Needless to say, my family frequently moved from one side of the town to the next. Life was hard, but I had never known anything else.

While growing up, I always wanted to be a teacher - even as a little girl. Knowing my family could not afford to send me to college, I applied for about 4 million scholarships. I ended up getting enough scholarship money to pay for my first three years of college.

After I graduated, I worked as a substitute teacher for a while. A few months later, I began working as a long term substitute for a special education teacher. I enjoyed this position, but it was a little overwhelming. I wasn't trained in special education and was confused by all of the paperwork.

After much debate, I decided that I really wanted to work in the inner city. I wanted to help the kids that really needed it - kids like me. By June, I had landed a position at an elementary school where 95% of the kids received free lunch (the poverty rates in this district were extremely high). Because I grew up in poverty, I felt like I could relate to these children. More than anything, I wanted to inspire these children to achieve more than their parents had achieved. I started the school year with many lofty dreams. By the time I left, most of these dreams were shattered.

Much to my despair, most of my students were awful. I know that this sounds mean, but they truly were terrible children. They were unruly, disrespectful, and rude. Have you ever been called a 'fucking bitch' by a third grader? Have you ever seen a student throw his desk across the room? Have you ever had a child destroy all of the posters on your walls because his mother failed to get his ADHD medication refilled? Have you ever seen children punch each other in the face on a daily basis? If not, then please don't judge me.

I tried my hardest with these children. I read book after book after book. I conferenced with older, wiser teachers. I did research online. I called parents (The parents did not care. Our school held an open house at the beginning of the year, and no parents from my class showed up. NONE. Not even one.). Still, nothing seemed to help.

There were many, many days when I cried on the way to work. There were many, many days when I cried during my lunch break. There were many, many days when I cried on other teachers' shoulders. There were many, many days when I cried on the drive home. The stress was overwhelming.

On top of the unruly behavior, each child in my class had serious issues to deal with at home - a mother in jail or a father on drugs or no place to live or developmental delays or ... There were just far too many problems for me to fix.

I tried to advocate for my students. I managed to get three of my students special education services. I managed to get one student on medication for ADHD. I finally taught one little boy how to tie his shoes (HE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO TIE HIS SHOES IN THE THIRD GRADE!). I managed to piss off the administration with my discipline plan. But despite the various techniques I tired with these kids, I still feel like I did not succeed.

When I left my position to move to New Jersey, it was like a huge weight had been lifted off of me. I started to feel normal again. I started to feel happy again.

I often think about returning to teaching when Porgie gets bigger. I still have fantasies about making a difference in a child's life. But then reality slaps me in the face, and I remember my former students.

I have to admit, I am not sure that I'm cut out for teaching. That is a really hard pill to swallow.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I think that the fact you were so willing to try and work with these kids shows what a caring person you are. I dont think you should allow your experiences in the past to make you believe that you arent cut out for teaching. There are probably kids out there that you will be able to touch one day if you choose to go back to work. I taught preschool (before Aiden) and there were times when it would be very discouraging but there were always those special moments that made it all worth while for me! I imagine I will go back once the kids are in school......

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your experiences attempting to teach inner city kids echoes those of many of my friends that tried as well.

Bon said...

wow...your history has enough parallels to my own to make your disenchantment with teaching particularly poignant for me.

it's hard, isn't it, when you really want to help and end up being bewildered and horrified by the anger you face in return? i think it's particularly hard for those of us who come from the "wrong side of the tracks" ourselves. my first two years teaching were brutal. i felt slapped. i sometimes WAS slapped. i feel for you, and i completely understand your hesitation to go back when Porgie's older.

i've ended up teaching teachers, and looking a lot into issues of the relationships btwn schooling and angry kids. i no longer think it's solely a matter of terrible kids, or teachers not being cut out to teach...in North America, we have a systemic problem of rage and class and assumptions that ends up playing out in poorly-funded and poorly-supported inner city classrooms.

Mary said...

I've wondered too if I'd go back to teaching when Claire's a little older. I was very discouraged at my school, which wasn't an inner city school, but a school full of rich kids who think that they are inner city kids. I had a lot of issues at that school. The county I taught in is the 18th largest district in the nation, so I am sure that accounts for some of the problems. The fact that they placed a new teacher in a classroom of kids that every other teacher refused to teach didn't help either.

I'd like to think that since I made it teaching there, that teaching anywhere else would be easy. Maybe it will be, but I fear that I'll never know since I was so turned off there.

Despite all of my issues at the school, there were a handfull of student that made it worth coming to school each day. Seeing them helped me get through the days, weeks, and months.

Beck said...

My mom and brother are teachers and they've said many of the same things as you. I don't know what happens when the kind, idealistic people give up on these kids, but I also don't know how to stop people from giving up, either.

tifferny said...

i taught special education for years. i know EXACTLY what you mean. i used to think " what in the hell is wrong with children these day?" things have changed so dramatically from when we were young. when mikaela gets older i don't know if i will go back to teaching...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you would enjoy teaching a different population? If you go back to work, it's worth a shot. I've taught university kids (Spanish) and immigrants (English as a Second Language) and with the latter the students are so much better motivated. They do what you tell them! Adults (though you can teach ESL to kids of course) learn more slowly, but are very eager. I recommend it.

My friend who taught public school is totally burnt out, too. She much prefers teaching ESL at the university. So maybe just find a different setting?

Anonymous said...

My mum is a middle school teacher in India, and in her case, it was just a question of fit. She just found it easier/ better in some schools as opposed to others. I'm sure it'll be that way for you too.

Inner-city kids come in with their own baggage and there's no way you could have fixed all of that.

That's what I hate about all those inspirational teacher movies-- they're talking about one-in-a-million cases where teachers have the chance to make a difference, rather than the reality which is that teachers can only do so much. In the end it's upto the parents to pull their weight as well. Even if you don't teach, perhaps you could do something else education-related like be a guidance counselor. That way you could still help children find a direction in life, without having to deal with 20 unruly kids at the same time.