Monday, March 26, 2007

And so it begins...

John and I moved to New Jersey in January of 2006. All of our neighbors seemed very nice. In fact, I was overwhelmed by their kindness. Needless to say, I liked them all.

The people who lived behind us had a pool, a trampoline, and a batting cage in their yard. I didn't really give much thought to this situation. During the summer, I would often hear their children playing in the pool until 10:00 pm. I was still surrounded by the confusion and stress that plagues all new parents. The noise was the least of my concerns. Besides, Porgie was sleeping in our room, and the noise was barely discernible.

Over the Fall and Winter, I seemed to have forgotten about their pool and trampoline and batting cage. Then yesterday happened.

I went to put Porgie down for her nap. Her room is located at the very back of our house. I could hear children screaming and laughing. I could also hear baseballs dinging against the metal batting cage. The noise was very loud. So loud, that I actually considered asking them to keep the noise down. John reminded me that children are allowed to play outside.

As you can probably guess, Porgie would not take a nap. I think she was fascinated by all of the unfamiliar sounds.

The reality of what this summer is going to be like has finally sunk in. I think I am in for a long, long summer - with no naps.

Woe is me. Please excuse me while I wipe the tears from my eyes. Sniff sniff.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! I'm having neighbor problems myself but nothing like this. Stupid other human beings existing. How dare they!

Okay, but it's going to be all right. She will get used to the noise! She will! It will become boring!

Try an air purifier or humidifier in her room for the white noise. We have a purifier and I really think it helps.

BEST OF LUCK!

Anonymous said...

I have 3 young boys with a basketball hoop across the street from me.

Although Will can sleep through pretty much anything(except for the sound of my voice apparently)

I guess that comes from being at daycare all day.

Amber said...

A batting cage in the backyard!? That sound of clanking metal would drive me crazy! Hopefully you'll find something to counteract the noise level :-)

Ashley said...

I hope she adjusts soon. We have the sound of a trampoline, loud music and a barking dog. The kids seem to be used to it now but I also play a CD while they are falling asleep and it muffles it enough until they are sleeping.

Bon said...

clearly you need to make them move away. perhaps a horse's head in their beds?

skunks in their yard?

inviting them to come over for wife-swapping? (on second thought....)

maybe the white noise is a better plan. naps matter.

tifferny said...

yah i have the screaming kids situation AND barking dogs. makes for reallllllllllllly interesting naptimes...or lack thereof.

Em said...

I'm not known for my patience at all, the street path runs through our front garden and our bay window is very close to the path. Kids walk back and forth down our street at night and they drive me barmy - just for talking and occationally walking on our grass, god help them if they play ball because the 3rd time it hit my window i went out and burst it. Only prob now is they now think its funny to wind me up, so our windows get egged and stones thrown regular - so not one of my best moves. I do wish i'd have ignored them now - my point is that think about any action you take.

Good luck!

karla said...

Ok. Just how big are your yards in New Jersey? I can barely fit my dog in my back yard.

Margo said...

Have you tried some white noise, like a small fan?

Christy said...

Everyone,
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try some white noise.

Suz,
I would like to call the cops, but John is a pussy.

Bon,
I horse's head in their bed sounds like it might do the trick. HA!

Karla,
Our yards aren't very big. These people have all of that crap crammed into their little yard. It really is absurd. I took a picture, but I decided that posting pictures of other people's personal porperty might not be a good idea.

Unknown said...

White noise rules! We have a very loud air purifier in our room we run any time anyone sleeps in there. I can't sleep without it, we have to bring it on trips. ;)