Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Stream of Consciousness: Part 16

Porgie will be going to the pediatric cardiologist tomorrow. Because our health insurance sucks ass, we only had two options for doctors - one was about 10 minutes from my house and the other was about an hour away from my house. I had originally made her appointment with the doctor who is located 10 minutes from our house. But it turned out that they were incompetent assholes, so we are making the hour long trek tomorrow. The appointment is going to screw up lunch time and nap time. Ugh.
__________

For the past few days, I have been eating non stop. I am always hungry. I think I have worms. On second thought, maybe I am just fat.
__________

It turns out that Izzy hates pureed foods, but loves actual solid foods. So far he has eaten pasta, tortillas, rice, star puffs, and wagon wheels. I am kind of baffled. Should I just skip pureed foods? I know baby-led weaning is an option. Maybe I need to do a little reading on the topic.
__________

I took the kids to the Aquarium last Friday. It was such an awesome day. Instead of putting her in the stroller, I let Porgie walk around with me. She was sooooooo good. And I never heard a peep out of little Izzy. It was one of those days, where I felt like an awesome mother. I wish everyday felt like that.
__________

My little Izzy Whizzy Woo slept through the night for the first time on Friday, June 6, 2008. I was so proud of him. I put him to bed at 7:30 pm and he slept until 7:30 am. Isn't that amazing? Unfortunately, it has not happened since. In fact, he woke up 4 times last night. I think his tummy was bothering him, because woke up screaming bloody murder.
__________

We are in the middle of a heat wave here in New Jersey. For the past three day, the temperatures have come dangerously close to 100 degrees. I am not ready for summer yet. It has been so damn hot, I don't even want to take the babies outside. Damn stupid global warming.
__________

I am considering enrolling Porgie in a preschool program this fall. Every time I think about it, I get a little teary eyed. Is my baby actually old enough to go to preschool?

16 comments:

Dooneybug said...

Ladybug never liked pureed food all that much. She loves eating what we are having. If Izzy doesn't want pureed foods then don't bother with them, I think it's a lot easier if you can skip pureed foods.

Good luck at the doctor's office! Hope everything is ok.

Jen said...

Dude give me some of your global warming! Over here on the west coast it is nothing but global COOLING. It is 55 degrees today. It is JUNE 10TH!! I want summer!

Also- I am also interested in child-led weaning. So far we have just given Cole some bread and French fries (ugh- i KNOW) and cheerios, but he also likes his pureed foods. I think it's fine to experiment with it now that they are a little older.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

No, I do my tackle's all week so they are ready to post at midnight Tuesday. Tuesday's are typically my day "off". :)

About the sleep, congrats!!!! I love when they finally sleep through the night and then once they do, when they don't, you know it's something real, because typically they can sleep through the night. :) Right? That's the way I look at it.

Amanda said...

Hope the hospital appointment goes well. If Izzy is happy eating solid food great for him!, my kids made themselves sick when they first had lumpy food!
100 degrees, thats hot! In Scotland we are just hitting 60 degrees :( But 100 is too hot!!!
Take care,
Love Amanda x

Tabitha said...

Lauren was not keen on pureed food either ~ she preferred finger foods too ~ you just have to go with the flow and see what happens.
Hope that the heat doesn't get to you too much ~ it is heating up here in England, but is not that hot!!
Take care ~ love tabitha XXX

Lainey-Paney said...

good luck at the dr's office!
:)

Antropóloga said...

Best wishes. Pureed stuff is not as yummy. Texture and do-it-yourself is nice.

I know a lady with a kid Baby Nora's age who is always talking to me about preschool. I'm like...is that required? I don't think we'll be doing it soon. But who knows.

Danielle said...

Good luck at the doc's office. I will keep you in mind. Hope Izzy sleeps through the night for you some more so you can get rested up. The aquarium sounds like a fun trip.

Dana said...

I love the aquarium.... I'm glad you guys had fun and you're a GREAT mommy every day, never forget that!

Bon said...

hope the appointment goes well, Christy.

and we did purees for awhile, but there was a point at which O rejected them and wanted only what i was eating. so i read up on babyled weaning and ate a lot of, um, bland things with a big smile on my face for awhile. ;) could have been more adventurous, probably...was just chicken...but truth is it was still freer than the elimination diet i'd been on (like you are) months before...so it was cool. then suddenly, purees were in again! kids are funny.

yay for the sleeping, even if only one night. i wish i could figure out why it happens sometimes and bottle that.

Rachel said...

Yeah she will be old enough but I know-the thought kills me. I am so sorry to hear about the doctor being incompetent. Please lets make a plan for the kids to meet. Maybe at aquarium. I hate the heat. It is killing me. I am glad Izzy is exploring foods. I have no suggestions for baby led weaning but I have read some blogs on it. Enjoy!

Mommy Mechanics said...

Oh my gosh, I swear my little one seems to hate pureed food and loves solid too. He doesn't even have any teeth. I don't get it. I'm glad he's not the only one. Hope all goes well at the Dr. tomorrow.

Greg said...

Ellie has always liked the normal food as well.

Sounds like you had a great time at the aquarium!! I know Ellie LOVES to watch all the fish, and usually throws a huge tantrum when we move on to the next thing to look at:)

anymommy said...

Hi. I came over from Awake. Your babies are darling. I have an eleven month old that seems to be skipping baby food too. He wants what his older brother and sister have!

Also, I completely understand your preschool feelings. I just decided not to send my older two (turning three this summer) to a drop off next year. We are going to do coop one more year. The break would be nice, but I guess mom wasn't ready.

Mama Smurf said...

Hope all is well at the doctor's office...and yeay for you for the little one sleeping through the night! Major breakthrough...even when temporary!

Kris said...

Good luck w/ the dr.

Congrats on the sleeping.

Finger fod are so much easier.. and I've heard of lots of moms who skip purees.. if we'd intro'd a little later we prob would have too. Is something I may do in the future but we'll see.. hope it goes well!

There's lots of reasons you could be hungry... and if it was worms that wouldn't be the only symptom. I got them in Afrika lol... it's painful... We actually thought I had malaria!

Glad to hear things are going well though. The aquarium sounds fun. I'm pushing for another zoo trip here.. there's lots of babies recently at ours (like kangaroos!) so it will be fun if we make it. Those little days when things go well like that (when we feel like the good moms we are but forget sometimes w/ all the stress lol) make the others a little more bareable.. at least for me.