Monday, June 15, 2009

Getting comfy

I worry. A LOT. One of the big things I have worried about since the birth of my children is SIDS. That shit scares the crap out of me. So, I took every precaution - I never over bundled them, we did not use blankets or pillows, and no stuffed animals were allowed in their cribs. When Porgie was about a year old, I did allow her to take night-night (her favorite blanket) to bed with her, but I tied it into two knots, because it made me feel better about the whole suffocation hazard thing.

Yes, I am insane. I can't help it.

As you know, my baby girl is now 3-years-old. I decided that perhaps it was time to start letting Porgie use a pillow. We went to Target, and I searched the pillow aisle for a toddler sized pillow. But everything looked enormous. I knew that I couldn't confidently put a big fluffy pillow in her crib. As I was walking out of the pillow aisle, I noticed a pile of decorative pillows on calerance. And I found it - the perfect toddler pillow (and 30% off too!). So we bought it...And because I was in a good mood, we bought a blanket for her bed too. A Hello Kitty blanket, of course (Porgie is currently OBSESSED with Hello Kitty). Here is the big girl trying out her new comfort items...You'll be amazed to know that I even suppressed the urge to go check on her during the middle of the night. It was tough, but I did it.

My baby girl is growing up.

14 comments:

Clare said...

so cute!! you are a good mama:)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You are hilarious. I remember the worry about SIDS and having stuff in the crib. With Oliver, we were pretty good about that - but with the twins...I had SOOOO much swaddling and immobilizing priorities. They were literally surrounded by fabric. I did keep them on their backs though.

Just Jiff said...

LOVE the pillow and LOOOOVE Hello Kitty!!!

Alicia W. said...

That pillow is cute as it can be and we LOVE some hello kitty in this house too.

Chris said...

I was terrified of that too. It's hard to not check on them in the middle of the night... I'm totally guilty of that!

The kids look so sweet in that picture!

Jen said...

I am the same way with being cautious which is why my kid still sleeps in my bed, wrapped around my arm ALL NIGHT LONG...

Danielle said...

awe! I thought i was nutty about SIDS- E sleeps on top our our heads in our bed on about 6 pillows at this point- but she still doesn't want a blanket.

amanda said...

first of all - total adorableness is that last picture :)

and second of all i am right there with you on the over worry department. the first night we let beans sleep with her pillow i checked on her like a million times. same the first night she got to take her blankie to bed.

i am a proud card carrying member of the worry club.

Laura Marchant said...

We let BG have a pillow and blanket when we moved her to a twin bed when she was two. It was so hard for me but she was so much more comfortable with them.
Cute pics! She looks so happy.

Amanda said...

She looks so happy and comfy with her pillow!

Carrie said...

That is such a cute pillow! She looks excited to use it like a big girl....are you going to start her in a toddler bed soon?

Rachel said...

yeah for a big girl pillow. you would freak out then if you saw max's bed..pillows, blankets ..the works.

you are a great mom!

Anonymous said...

I worry about it, too.... Geeklet is 8 months old and I freak out about it all the time. I don't worry about Cupcake so much - she's three, like Porgie, but sleeping in a big girl bed (well. sort of. sigh.) but I feel pretty confident that she is safe. Then again we're in her room every two freaking hours ANYWAY so that might have something to do with it. Just sayin.

msprimadonna67 said...

I love these pictures--she looks so excited to sleep on her new pillow!