Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Being honest

I often find myself thinking about the future. What direction will my life take in the next few years? Do I want to return to teaching? Do I want to go back to college and pursue a different career? This line of thinking inevitably makes me think about the past, and the choices I have made.

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a teacher. Throughout my entire adolescences, I often talked about teaching. When I entered college, selecting a career path was easy. I major in Elementary Education, and I minored in English. I distinctly remember my first practicum experience. It was in a 3rd grade classroom. I remember how those little 9 year-old students made me incredibly nervous. I remember the anxiety I felt when I was being observed. I remember the panic I felt when I gave directions and no one followed them. After that first semester in the classroom, I started to rethink my previous goals. Did I really enjoy teaching?

I dismissed my doubts. Surely I would enjoy teaching more in the next year or two. I told myself that it is always difficult to adjust to new situations. However, my next practicum was a disaster. My cooperating teacher was a BITCH. It was obvious that she didn't like me, although I had no idea why. The teacher didn't respect me, and her students didn't either. It was a rough 12 weeks, but I managed to survive. Once again, I questioned my motives. Was teaching really the career for me? Why was I stubbornly sticking to this career path, when I clearly wasn't enjoying my experiences? But by this point, I felt like I had already invested too much time, money, and energy into my teaching career. As I entered into my senior year of college, I was miserable.

Student teaching was brutal. I gained 30 pounds. THIRTY POUNDS. I cried during one of my observation reviews. I admitted to my university supervisor that I hated teaching kindergarten. And yet I trudged on, determined to graduate with my little teaching degree. And I did. I graduated in December. As expected, there weren't many teaching positions available. I decided to start substitute teaching. I was getting called in 3 to 4 times per week, and I was finally starting to feel like teaching might not be so bad after all. After a month or so of substituting, I was offered a long term position in the special education department. Although I wasn't certified in special education, I took the position. I thought it would be a great way to get my foot in the door.

This was really a huge mistake. There is A LOT of paperwork involved in special education. I was clueless. There are A LOT of parent meetings in special education. I was nervous as hell. I basically spent the entire 4 months being confused and overwhelmed. And the worst part was, I interviewed for a 4th grade teaching position at that school, and I didn't get it. It was embarrassing. By the time my substitute position ended, I was bitter.

I spent that summer interviewing for teaching positions. I went on 3 or 4 interviews per week. And teaching interviews are tough. They usually consist of a committee containing 4 or 5 members. So if you say something goofy or cannot answer a question adequately, you have FIVE people staring at you. Just thinking about it gives me a panic attack.

After going on 813 interviews, I was finally offered a position in 3rd grade (my favorite grade). Although I would love to tell you that teaching turned out to be the best career EVER, I cannot. I was pretty miserable. I was working in a very poor district. The parents were not supportive or involved in the classroom. The principal was a dickhead. And my students were bad. They were mean little kids, who liked to fight and argue all day. I loved them, but they were wearing me down - mentally, emotionally, and physically.

On more than one occasion, I came home crying. I am not an emotional person. I rarely ever cry. But when I was teaching, I cried a lot. I cried when a child told me her dad sold drugs. I cried when a little boy's mother was sent to prison. I cried when my kids came to school in the snow with no winter coats. I cried because their problems felt like my problems. I wanted to fix their lives and make everything okay. But I couldn't. Maybe I would have hardened over the years, and it would have been easier. I doubt it.

I was truly and utterly overwhelmed. It wasn't the actual teaching that bothered me - it was everything else. Regardless of the reasons, I was tired and weary and sad. And when I left my teaching position to move to NJ, the weight of the world was lifted off of my shoulders. I could breathe again. I could feel happy again.

I left teaching in 2005. In the past 4 years, I haven't really had the desire to return to the classroom. But when I think about the future, I often try to convince myself that teaching would be a great career. My schedule would match my kids' schedule, and that would be very convenient. But in all honesty, I don't want to return to teaching. What do I want to do? If I am being completely honest with myself, I want to stay home and have more babies. But for some reason, this seems shameful. I should have bigger goals and ambition.

18 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

I came home crying on many, many, many occasions. It is so hard. Have I got some stories! I miss teaching because the last position I left I loved the staff. I am still good friends with about 5 teachers from there. I think I cried for a month when I stayed home because I didn't know who I was anymore after having kids. I think about going back and just wonder how on earth I am going to do it when I have kids of my own now. **sigh**

Carrie said...

Girl! Why are you beating yourself up over not wanting to teach? For wanting to stay home and raise your kids? What is wrong with that? I'd give my right arm to be able to stay home with Liv. Raising kids is hard work. No shame in it.
My big life goal is to live life to the fullest. I'm not doing so well at it right now, but I'm working on it.

Just Jiff said...

Amen to what Carrie said! I would LOVE to stay home with Bayley and have more kiddos! We just can't afford it, but there is NO shame in being a SAHM! Its a thankless, exhausting job and you are at work 24/7.

As for teaching, you have had some bad experiences so its no wonder you don't want to continue down that path. No shame in that either.

I would've cried and gotten caught up in all the personal stuff, so I'm with you there.

dani said...

being a good mother IS the most important thing you will ever do in your life, christy. there's nothing shameful about wanting to be a mother "when you grow up":)
love,
dani

Jen said...

Do NOT beat yourself up for not wanting to be a teacher. It is a really tough job and not everyone is cut out for it emotionally. I don't think I could do it. I really don't.

I think being a SAHM is a good thing. If you are satisfied and you can afford it- more power to you! It will definitely be good for your kids! : )

pitapocketmom said...

Do what makes you happy! I know its hard not to feel guilty but you have happy beautiful healthy kids! And if you want to stay at home and have more babies go for it, and if you want to go out and try and find a new career then go for that! I somtimes think about what i am going to do when my kids are at school age and i feel like a loser cause i have no idea!

amanda said...

i can relate to this post in many, many different ways. in hindsight i know how lucky i was in the classroom - but that still doesn't mean i didn't cry. often! teaching is hard. being a mama is hard.

and wanting to stay home is far from shameful friend. i am right there with you...i have no idea what's next. or even honestly what i want to be next?

Anonymous said...

Stay home/don't stay home. Whatever you do, DON'T go back to teaching. You were miserable. I have gone through this very thing regarding social work. I hated it. HATED it. More than anything. But it was all I knew. I am getting ready to go back to work and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that field. I'm going to nursing school and couldn't be happier.

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay home with your kids.

Chris said...

Don't be ashamed that teaching didn't work for you. You definitely sound like you need something different. Whether it being a full time mommy or another career, do what makes you happy. Life's too short to do otherwise.
Okay, enough sentimental speak.

Unknown said...

I've been teaching in various places since 1999 (!) and have never had experiences like these. But then I teach languages to adults. I highly recommend that! Public schools seems to wear everyone down. I have a good friend who taught Spanish in a public school for years and totally hates teaching now, even though she has a grad degree in it. Anyway, so before you write off teaching, if you do decide to work again, I recommend trying a different population/setting.

As for the other bit, about feeling ashamed not to want to work and be ambitious etc., a) there is plenty of time for that later (seriously, decades and decades since everybody dies so late now) and b) you are awesome at being a mom, and that's important, too. Your kids are tiny!

Unknown said...

Oh, and your experience with public schools reminds me of mine with social work. I cried a ton over that, too. And you know I don't cry.

Kris said...

Nothing to feel ashamed about at all! Esp not the staying home and having more babies part ;-)

No seriously... I grew up feeling the same way. Only in my case everyone told me I'd be a great teacher and I just kinda fell in line. So slightly diff. Went to college and started on an Elementry Ed major. Right before my 3rd year I went to Afrika and taught in a summer program, loved it and came back so excited it wasn't even funny. And then I started one of my classes w/ student teaching. Horrid experience that I'm not getting into but lets just say children being abused by a teacher. Somewhere in the mess I started looking at what I really wanted and realized I didn't know. I'd always been told and had never really made the decision. I ended up changing my major to English (humanties really) and still don't know (almost 5 years after grad now lol) what I want to do w/ it. Like I mentioned before, I loved teaching overseas (and looked at doing that full time) but here not so much. I subbed right out of college and enjoyed parts of it... I'm still getting pushed to get my cert too... Part of me is thinking when the kids are all in school that I may do that, but go the private school route (through the diocese here). I don't know though... and that's a long ways away. For now I enjoy "just" being mommy... is a pretty demanding job lol.

Amanda said...

Being a Mum is the best and most important job in the world. There is nothing wrong with wanting to do that!

kristi said...

I am sorry you didn't like teaching. My son is special needs and there are times when I feel his teacher is overwhelmed.

She has 8 kids and it is her and 2 aides. So she does get help. However, we had 4 meetings during the last school year.

Have you ever checked into teaching online?
I am taking classes online so it was just a thought.

Danielle said...

Not sure I want to go back either. I taight ina Abbott district and came home exhausted everyday. However, hubs said I can't stay home forever and I have no clue what else I could do.

Laura McIntyre said...

Its great your being honest with youself , if teaching is not where your heart is then you should not go back . What is wrong with wanting to stay home with your kids? Its a wonderful and selfless goal .

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Boy do I know many of these feelings.

Mary said...

I struggle with the same thing. I always wanted to teach and after doing so for a couple of years, I can say with confidence that I would be very happy never to set foot in a classroom as an instructor ever again. I keep trying to sell myself on it, but when I do really think about it, I end up having severe panic attacks. It's terrible.