Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ultrasounds, first steps, and disappointments

My 20 week ultrasound was scheduled for July 13th - when I will be exactly 20 week pregnant. However John will be out of town that week, so I had to reschedule my appointment. Being the rebel that I am, I scheduled it for the week before. My new appointment is on July 6th. I can't wait to see my baby again!

Honestly, I have mixed emotions regarding ultrasounds. I LOVE seeing images of the baby, but I am always fearful that the technician might detect a problem. Where these irrational fears come from is a mystery to me. I guess it is just part of being a worry wart.

Also, my doctor wrote down some special notes for me to give to the ultrasound technician. I tried to read the notes, but I can only make out about 3 words. I feel like a grade schooler, whose teacher sent home a note in a sealed envelope. WHAT DOES THAT DAMN NOTE SAY?!?! It driving me insane.

We are still undecided on the gender issue. I don't really want to know the sex, but John does. We didn't find out with Porgie - mainly because I didn't want to know. I was absolutely positive that we were having a boy (I guess I have no mother's intuition). Needless to say, it was an awesome surprise.
_______________

Porgie can stand all by her pretty little self. It is very adorable. She looks so surprised and proud of herself when she accomplishes this amazing feat. She also took her first independent step yesterday. I was snapping pictures, when I should have been videotaping her. I never capture any great moments on video. I totally suck.

But, I did get a great shot of her standing...

______________

I haven't talked much about this before, but no-one from my family has visited us here in New Jersey. It kind of pisses me off. I traveled all the way to Kentucky with Porgie (a 10 HOUR drive) to visit my family, but they all seem unwilling to come visit me. My cousin Bean promised that she was going to come out this summer with her kids. I was already planning our week together - trips to the beach, the zoo, the water park. She called yesterday to report that she can't come. I am very sad.

7 comments:

Antropóloga said...

Uh oh, somebody's got herself a toddler! Congratulations!

Yeah, doctors' handwriting is inscrutable. I hope the u/s tech can decipher it at least.

I was a total wreck before my big ultrasound, too. (I had like twelve in all in the end so I got used to it). I even threw up DURING the ulrasound I was so worked up. So believe you me I know all about that. I'm sure everything will be fine.

I'm sorry about the no visiting thing. Other people are annoying.

Rachel said...

Where are you in NJ?

Yeah I was the same way with the ultrasound. I was always worried that things would not be ok. I even hated going to see the midwife. I am sure all will be fine. And I went for my ultraosund at 19 weeks too. :)

Amber said...

Yay for Porgie walking! I love watching kids walk for the first time! And I kinda hope you do find out what flavor you're bakin' in the oven cuz I wanna know :-p

S said...

I suck too because it took 3 tries to get JuniorMint's walking on video. Even then I only caught it on the camera video instead of the camcorder.

As for the visiting thing, I can somewhat relate. It's more the friends that've not bothered to visit, much less ask how he's doing, etc.
It'll be interesting to see how the tables turn when their child is born and they expect people to show interest in their lives when they've been lacking in that area towards other people.

I say piss on them. They don't know what they're missing!

Em said...

Well done porgie!

it really annoys me when someone promises to come and they just done bother and you'd have never let them down. - it stinks!

misguidedmommy said...

ehh its cool my husbands family has come to my town ummm twice...they prefer to make my poor husband and i spend money we dont have while packing up a toddler to drive 4 hours to their house so they can then go out and leave us at home wondering why in the fuck we went there to begin with

Chastity said...

I loved getting ultrasounds. We have friends who do not have any during their pregnancies (they have 3 kids), b/c they think it's safer, but I like to remind them that if I hadn't had any that we wouldn't have realized that Lila had stopped growing several weeks before her due date...and the doctors have alluded to the fact that things could have gotten very bad for us if they had not known that....I don't ask for details b/c things turned out great in the end.

Anyway, as far as learning the sex...I figured that a surprise is a surprise whether it's a surprise in the ultrasound room or a surprise a few months later in the delivery room. I thought Lila was going to be a boy too, btw...was so sure of it.