Monday, May 25, 2009

Making room

This was the shed that the former homeowners left for us. Nice - right? They were classy people. My husband dismantled this old thing last month. YAY! But then we didn't know what to do with all of the debris. BOO! We called a company to come haul it away, but they wanted $500 to do it. Holy Guacamole! Do I look like I am made of money?

Instead, we decided to bribe the garbage men to take it. Every week John would haul a shit load of wood to the curb, along with a case of beer. And every week, the garbage men would happily take the beer and the debris. We threw away the shed over the course of 4 weeks, and it cost us a total of $78. AWESOME! We are sooooooo smart.

And now we have this...
More specially, we have this...A nice open space for our new swing set. I am so darn excited! We are going to enclose the play area with garden timbers and put down wood chips. We are also buying one of these...You know, so mommy will have a place to sit and rest. Am I lucky or what?

16 comments:

Alicia W. said...

Great idea about the beer! Hot damn! I have to try that out in my neck of the woods.. Hell, I think they would do anything for a pint of liquor. lol

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Love the swing!

Amanda said...

Happy Mummy and Happy Kids this summer!
l,
A x

Antropóloga said...

Yeah, our play area was landscape timbers with mulch, and I had a bench, too.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

We are not home project people... I am impressed!

Tabitha said...

I am loving that swing set ~ looks like a great place to sit, and relax.......with a glass of wine or two (or three!!).
Just off to catch up with your other posts!
Hope you are all well.
Love and hugs Tab XXXX

Just Jiff said...

VERY SMART about the beer! woo hoo!

And love the swing!

msprimadonna67 said...

Love the swing! I am hoping to have one of those back by the pool soon.

Stefanie said...

Cases of beer. What a good idea.

Anonymous said...

(standing up clapping) Yay! My husband does the same thing with his surplus of lumbar.

amanda said...

i will bring lemonade and cookies ... that's the admission to your new back yard heaven right?

Danielle said...

That looks like a great place to hang out.

dani said...

you are a genius, christy!!! i wonder if our trash guys like bud lime:? ha!!!
you are going to totally dig your resting spot when you are finished with the back yard:)
love,
dani

Mert said...

Uhmm... Does the old lady who complains about your tree live behind you? If so, she really needs to worry about her weed garden first!

Rachel said...

Totally lucky! I love it!

Mary said...

I can't wait to see your finished project. It'll be great!