Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Doing shit

I have been feeling an overwhelming urge to get things done lately - like painting interior doors, organizing baby clothes, and cleaning bathtubs. I have no idea where this sudden bust of energy is coming from, but I'll take it! Actually, I think the need to accomplish something stems from my current job. I don't exactly get a sense of accomplishment from changing shitty diapers or cleaning vomit off of the floor. In order to make myself feel productive and useful and capable, I embark on crazy home improvement projects.

I have several ideas spinning in my head right now, but I think I am going to repaint the living room and dining room. I currently have a color called camel on the walls. I liked the color for a while, but now it just seems blah. Additionally, the kids have wrecked havoc on the flat paint. There are greasy hand prints everywhere. So, I stopped by the hardware store and picked up some color samples this weekend.

I am trying to be bold. I am trying to get away from the beige family, which I automatic tend to gravitate toward. After staring at paint samples for an eternity, I finally decided to paint the dining room a color called tundra. It is an medium shade of gray. And the living room will be driftwood, which is a brown. I am a little nervous about my color selections, because they are A LOT darker than our current colors. But I think they are beautiful. In the end, I hope I am happy with my choices.

I forgot to mention that we actually use our dining room as the playroom. We have an eat-in kitchen, so this works out great. Because the dining room is the playroom, I have a million posters and flashcards and sentence stripes taped to the walls. Tonight I have to take down all of the crap. Yipee! And then I have to convince my husband to remove all of the roman shades, so I can patch some holes in the molding. And then I have to tape up the edges.

Wait! This is starting to sound like a lot of hard work. Maybe I should rest on it for a few days.

14 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Hahaha, good luck!! It sounds like fun! I can't wait to see the final project.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Before and after pictures please.

anymommy said...

We need pictures, okay.

Kris said...

I wish I had that burst of energy.. can you send some my way?

Danielle said...

fun! We did flat paint too- what the heck was I thinking. I would love to repaint but I am not allowed within 10 feet of a paint brush- the hubs is very anal and I am very messy.

Just Jiff said...

Yay!!! Def need before and after photos!

You're nesting without being preggers, that's pretty cool. :)

jen said...

way to go!
remember paint is just paint. you can always change it (again) if you need to!
(and next time i'm fretting about paint colors ... could you remind me of that?)

dani said...

i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO empathizing with you, c:/
love,
dani

Anonymous said...

Oh, please come over & help me. All of our walls are "off-white", "eggshell" and "ecru"

Antropóloga said...

Ugh, I hate projects.

Amanda said...

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

MG @ MommyGeekology said...

Haha, well at least there is no wallpaper to take down. The colors sound nice! I hope we'll get pics :)

Oh, and I hope you got a satin paint! Much better for the kiddos.

Rachel said...

Cant wait to see pics!

Becks said...

I hear ya! I am on a de-clutter, throw everything away rampage. It makes me feel happy!! I too want to re-paint my whole upstairs..I am so over my beige and red decor..hello 1997. At least your husband is willing to let you do these things, my husband thinks I am going crazy...he might be right.