Monday, May 11, 2009

AHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

For the past three years, we have had a problem with ants in the Spring. Every time you would turn around, an ant would be ambling across the carpet. It was frustrating, but by early June the ants were always gone. This year we haven't had any ants. Not even one. This would be awesome, except for the fact that another nasty bug has invaded our home.

I keep finding these crazy looking brown bugs in our house. They are about the size of a nickle, and they can fly. Their bodies are shaped almost like a shield. They are incredibly slow and dumb, so they are really easy to catch, but I am terrified of them. Smashing them is one of the most disturbing things I have ever done. They are BIG. And their bodies are hard. Just thinking about that crunching sound gives me cold chills.

Anyways, for the past month we have had to kill about 1 bug per day. Usually John is home, and I make him kill the little bastards. But on Friday night, John killed 2 of the bugs before he went to bed, and and then I had to kill 2 more before I went to bed. FOUR BUGS IN ONE NIGHT! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHH! It was terrifying.

I got myself worked up into such a frenzy that I couldn't sleep. I was convinced that there were bugs in my bed. What if they crawled on me while I was sleeping? What if they were in the kids' rooms? AHHHHHHHHH!

So instead of sleeping, I got up and looked on online to find out more about these nasty creatures. I found a picture online. You might not want to look. You'll have nightmares.Are you freaked the fuck out? Because I definitely am. It is actually called a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. A STINK BUG! AHHHHHHHH!

I guess we need to call someone to spray an insecticide around the perimeter of our house. But is that safe for kids? Okay, that picture of the stink bug is grossing me out, so I have to go. Please send help.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the outside of our house sprayed 4 times a year. According to the pest control company, it's completely safe for children and pets. I still keep mine away for a while, though! Good luck.

Danielle said...

haha we have those in the house too. I love bugs so we put them in a terranium and watch them. Then we free them outside. I think ants are much much worse...they are smaller and can crawl into all your holes. Ants are the ONLY thing I can bring myself to kill. I have never had the stinks last that long-not sure if it would be worth the $$ to spray.

Alicia W. said...

Holy HELL! I can't stand any creepy crawling little bastards. I would just call around and find the place that uses less abrasive chemicals. Good luck with the little stinkys!

Amanda said...

Get them sprayed! NOW!!!

Anonymous said...

DON'T SQUISH THEM!!! That's when the stink comes out. Sort of a nasty-assed-rotting-apple-smell. I used a disposable bathroom cup & paper plate. Cover them with the cup, slide the plate under. Dump the little bastard in the toilet & flush.

They don't bite, or sting so no need for worry there. They don't eat the wood in your house or destroy houseplants or any of that stuff. They are just big, dumb, bugs who alsomst DARE you to kill them with their slow-plodding-walk across the windowsill. Our exterminater told us that once you get them, they'll hibernate in the
little spaces between your siding/eaves/windows.
Get thee to the Homedepot/Lowes/Ace & stock up on caulk. Recaulk EVERY!SINGLE! window, doorway, and some of that spray-foam-expanding stuff for any gaps in the foundation.

April said...

My mom has those - she lives in VA. They are pretty gross. When we were visiting this last Christmas they were even wandering around - in the middle of winter! Hope you are able to get rid of them.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

We get ants too. That is far worse though... I may have nightmares.

Just Jiff said...

Yuck. I hate bugs. We have someone come out and spray our house every month for whatever decides to invade. They say that it's safe for kids and pets but its best to leave the house and let them spray and then open the windows and doors to ventilate. I don't like to take any chances. :)

Christy said...

We spray the perimeter of our house ourselves - and I'm sure you guys can do it too. You should come over for a playdate this week and I'll show you what we use! Email me!

Laura Marchant said...

Yuck! Now I feel like I am itching all over!!!! We get these little black bugs that someone told me are some kind of sewer bug. I grew up with a septic tank so I am so grossed out by these "sewer" bugs. We get ants too every spring. I just saw my first two the other day. I have no idea if spraying the house is safe.

Kris said...

Ewe....

See if there's a Green exterminator around... less likely to cause probs w/ the kids if you go that route. Or google ways to get rid of them. I know we found some great ways to get rid of fruit flies and ants here w/ things we keep around the house normally and have no chance of harming babies or pets. Maybe there'll be something that simple for yall... Is worth a shot anyway!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Ugh. Yuck. Good luck with that. They sell bug bombs, you'd have to get out of the house for like 4 hours, but that might be a cheaper idea...

Anonymous said...

I can totally top that one. A fellow restaurant employee friend of mine from a million years ago was telling me about the time that he was driving back across the desert from Las Vegas (we lived outside of Mojave) and there was a monster size pack of trantulas crossing the road. He couldn't avoid them so he had to drive over them. All over their ginormous crunchy heads that shattered like christmas bulbs under his tires. Pleasant.

Anonymous said...

anything with antennae makes me creepy crawly! We had silverfish here for a while....*shudder*....and so I know how you feel. :(

Jen said...

I have those same bugs in my house. I make Erick get them because they freak me OUT! No ants for us YET (knocking on wood) either. AHH.

Clare said...

we definitely have a stink bug problem in our area as well! they are yucky little things!!!

Lainey-Paney said...

I hate those. We had those at the house I grew up in. They stink when you smush them, right?
That may not be true, but I always thought it was true, so I didn't smush them...

Anonymous said...

Yep, I have a bug guy that comes and sprays for ants and spiders and whatever other lil critter thinks its going to infest my house. Its safe for kids and pets.....so call your local bug guy!!!

Chris said...

Yikes. That does sound terrifying. I don't know anything about insecticides, but you'd think that they have to have something that is safe for children. Good luck!

dani said...

yuck:/ i don't like bugs either... call the exterminator asap, christy!!!
love,
dani

Anonymous said...

vab банк
vab банк
[url=http://globalist.org.ua/?p=19244]vab банк[/url]
http://globalist.org.ua/?p=19244 - vab банк