Friday, May 8, 2009

Goodbye friend

My cousin called me over the weekend to report that the house we used to own in Kentucky is vacant. All of the doors and windows have been boarded up. At first, I was only mildly interested in this story. However after a few days, curiosity got the best of me. I started searching around online for more information. I thought that perhaps there had been a house fire, so I started reading through the archives on the Kentucky Post website.

I never found any useful information about my former residence, but I did stumble across an article about a teacher I used to work with. Her name was Marty. We were both hired the same year to teach 3rd grade. Our rooms were right across the hall from one another. She was a sweet person, who really enjoyed her job. Everyone liked Marty - myself included. I ended up moving to NJ mid-year, and I lost contact with her.

Marty died this past February. When I read the article, I was shocked. She was young and beautiful. I never would have suspected that she had heart trouble. Also, she left behind a newborn baby girl. My heart just aches for her family. I can't even begin to imagine their pain and grief. Since reading the news article, my stomach has been tied in knots. It is just so sad and so unexpected.

Goodbye friend.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry. That is heart breaking. :(

Laura Marchant said...

That is so sad. I am a all freaked out too now.

Chris said...

Sorry to hear that news. It's tough when you find out like that...

dani said...

that is heartbreaking, christy... young people just aren't supposed to die:/ her poor family.
much love,
dani xxxx

Kate Coveny Hood said...

How very sad. I'm so sorry.

Just Jiff said...

OMG. THat is AWFUL. So, so sad. That poor newborn baby. She'll never know her mommy. :(

I'm sorry to hear this. My heart aches for their family.

Jen said...

Oh that is so sad. Hearing about these things is so heart wrenching.

amanda said...

so sorry friend...

my friend just called a couple of days ago and said she found an old classmate (through facebook) who had recently died. we haven't seen her in years, but still so very sad.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend ~ that's so tragic.
love,
Amanda x

Antropóloga said...

Oof.

Rachel said...

What a sad story. I am sorry for your co-worker/friend,