Thursday, January 21, 2010

Unclaimed property

I was reading a blog one day, and the author mentioned that she received money from her state's unclaimed property division. She checked their website, and discovered that a company she used to work for was sued, and she (along with all the other employees) was awarded money in the settlement.

Inspired, I checked KY and NJ unclaimed property websites, and lo and behold, I have unclaimed money sitting in the Kentucky state treasury. And John does too! Yippee. We both contacted the treasury. I have $220 in unclaimed money. John has $15. I know that is was our money to begin with, but it kind of feels like we just found $235. I am already planning frivolous ways to spend the money.

I have submitted all the necessary paperwork to prove that I am who I claim to be, and I am eagerly awaiting my $220. I highly recommend that you do some research into this issue as well. You might have loads of money laying around, just waiting to be claimed.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! That is awesome! I have a feeling that I just OWE money. Ha.

Clare said...

awesome news!! i am going to have to look into that!

Kris said...

Thanks for reminding me! I have a form here already to get mine... I had about 100. Could be useful lol.

amanda said...

uhm i have none. thanks for rubbing yours in :)

tee hee

misguided mommy said...

i have done this so many times. and everyone but me has money