Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Smelling the roses

I have a tendency to rush through things. I rarely take the time to enjoy what I have. Instead, I am always looking forward to the next big thing. This is especially true when it comes to Porgie's development. When she learned to roll over, I wanted her to sit up. When she began sitting up, I wanted her to crawl. When she started crawling, I wanted her to walk. Why can't I just appreciate what I have?

As Izzy's birth looms closer and closer, I have been trying to savor the moments with Porgie. We have been going for walks around the block, examining the leaves and playing in the grass. We have been watching videos and cuddling on the couch. We have been giving lots of kisses and hugs to one another.

As I look at my little girl, I can't help but feel a little sad. She isn't going to be the baby anymore. I want to go back in time, and savor every moment we spent together - just me and her.

6 comments:

Antropóloga said...

Yes, it can be sad when things change. But you'll still get some time together as a pair. And the three of you will have so much fun! (Eventually).

I am impressed you can get her to walk around the block, by the way. I keep trying to take walks with Baby Nora but she just wants to wander in people's yards.

Christy said...

Eva,
It takes us approximately 2 hours to walk around the block. And when I said we "examine the leaves and play in the grass", I was referring to the leaves and grass in other people's yards.

Greg said...

The only thing I wonder about how things will change with E, is if that is finally when the dad/daughter relationship changes and becomes more solid. I mean that the new baby will take up a lot of mom's time and so that would then mean E,or Porgie, or any first child would maybe go to dad for the attention. Is this a wierd way of thinking?

Maybe I am delusional and it doesn't work that way.

Anonymous said...

I find myself feeling bad for Will. He has never had the one-on-one time that Maggie had. I remember evenings of playing "this little piggy" for HOURS.

Amber said...

I have tried to savor the moment with each of my kids but it never seems to work that well and I end up thinking about the next big thing that they should be doing! So I understand where you are coming from!

Rachel said...

Christy - that was the sweetest post. Thanks for making me smile. Kiss Porgie for me.