Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Squirrels!

I am a big ball of complaints lately. Let's pretend that I am not a crybaby, and talk about something a little more uplifting - squirrels! Back in the day, I used to rehabilitate orphaned baby squirrels. During college, I worked at a little pet store in town. In early spring, people would often find a baby squirrel at the bottom of a tree. Instead of leaving the baby for the mother to rescue, they would scoop it up and bring it to our store. I have nursed tiny babies with their umbilical cords still attached, into full grown squirrels. Someday, when I have a little extra time, I will scan in my squirrel pictures. It is amazing to see the transformation.

Anyways, I now have a slight fascination with squirrels. I thought I would share some of my squirrel bric-a-brac with you...

A squirrel pillow

A squirrel knickknack thingie
A squirrel candle topper

A squirrel candle holder

And my FAVORITE - an antique wrought iron squirrel nutcracker
When my children were born, I got to take my obessession even further...

A squirrel baby blanket

A squirrel stuffed animal

And finally, squirrel clothes
In addition to the squirrel theme, we also have a crazy giraffe theme going on over here . I kind of get wrapped up in themes. It is a sickness. How about you? Any themes to your decor?

15 comments:

Danielle said...

I have a thing for camels...but my hubs won't let me put them out. :( Will the mom really rescue the baby? I found one in college that fell out of a tree and was bleeding. I was afriad some dumb ass college kid would ty to hurt it- so I brought it to a local animal rescue place. I didn't realize the mom would have rescued it.

Laura Marchant said...

Oh I want to see the pics!

Jen said...

I think our only theme is NO THEMES! Oh- except for Cole's room which is ROCKETS.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I always like the idea of themes - but can never follow through. So I just have to make sure that all of my odds and ends somehow "go together".

Kris said...

We have a mix... Lots of Afrika stuff. It started w/ stuff I brought back w/ me when I went and I've added a few things I've gotten here. Even the babies room fits in w/ it lol.. but she's switching to Elmo when her Christmas gift from my cousin gets here (whenever that may be). We also have a ton of Middle Eastern themed things... (one of those got us a visit last night that will prob end up in my next post) kind of a given in our family lol. Plus Catholic stuff, also a given. Beyond that, no real themes.

Antropóloga said...

Maps and globes.

I tried to save a baby squirrel that was run over by a mower. I did not. It was very sad.

Stefanie said...

Yeah, our theme is hodge podge. I have no interior design sense. I think we started into a wine theme but has morphed into all kinds of odds and ends.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Just apples and I am so tired of getting them for gifts!

Dana said...

no themes to my decor.... but i do love all of your squirrels!!

Tabitha said...

That is so sweet that you looked after those little squirrels!
We have loads of them round here and some are so cheeky!!
Love and hugs Tabitha XXXXXX

amanda said...

honey every time i visit i fall more in puffy heart love with you!! you seriously crack me up!! squirrels??

u and my dad would get along great - he names the ones that hang out in his yard!!

no real themes for me..although i do have a thing for hawks. unfortunately i don't have any knick knacks to support my thing.

Amanda said...

Just the kids room have themes ~ the rest of our house i suppose is just boring!
Love,
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart Christy. All those widdle-biddy squirrels.

Personally, I can't stand them. Little beady eyes, big teeth & when they chew through the eaves(on 3 separate occasions!!) of your house and live in your attic chewing their way through the insulation & bags of baby clothes and worked their way in to Will's nursery...I found one IN HIS CRIB!!!! I have to tell you, you may not be my friend anymore after this but, I got out my pellet gun & sat outside all Annie Oakley-like and picked the little rat bastards off one by one.

Melissa said...

No themes, but that nutcracker is awesome!

We have this MONSTER squirrel that lives in our backyard. Biggest one I have ever seen. He's Mr. Squirrel to you. :)

dani said...

when i was younger, i had a thing for pigs; but, i think the older i get the less "things" i have a thing for (did that make sense???)!!! ha!
i love, love, love your nutcracker, though. i could have a real thing for that:)
love,
dani