Monday, September 7, 2009

Just yammering

My husband is on vacation again this week. Once again, we aren't going anywhere or doing anything spectacular. John is doing some small projects around the house, and I am doing the some weekly routine that I always do - story time, park, farm, blah blah blah.

Isn't it crazy how quickly this year has zipped by? I am suddenly worried about Halloween costumes and Christmas presents. And I am amazed that it is almost the year 2010. Shouldn't we be flying around like the Jetson's by now?

Guess what? I suddenly have a million ripe tomatoes from my fabulous garden, so I made salsa. And it tasted delicious! Are you proud? No? Well, you should be! And guess what else? I am making spaghetti sauce tomorrow. Yummy!

Speaking of my garden, I forgot to check the tomato vines for a few days and things really got out of hand. Yesterday I picked 12 ripe tomatoes, half of which we already rotten. And my peppers have really been giving me a hard time. We planted orange peppers. I picked a couple when they were green, but I wanted to let a few actually turn orange. Unfortunately, three of my peppers went bad while I was waiting for them to change color. What the hell?

We are going to grill out tonight and take it easy. How about you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom has had trouble with her garden, too-- we got so much rain that there was a lot of root rot! poo. Also some animal keeps eating everything! LOL. Whatever wild animal it is, he's eating better than we are!

Waiting for our tomatoes to come in so we can make salsa, too, and tomato sauce sounds AWESOME. I must try that. Yours, I mean. You'll send me some, right?

Kris said...

I can't wait until we can have a garden...

And its def crazy how fast this year is going. Kalila's bday is coming up way too fast. I'm so not ready!

amanda said...

omg we really are long lost bff's! totally have tomatoes coming out of our you know whats! we made salsa first. then pasta sauce. and finally i gave up. game over. the garden is done.

note to self - do not plant five tomato plants next spring :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I wish we had a garden... But I just know that this would be the fate of most of my vegetables.

Alicia W. said...

I have an amazing recipe for you!! you can totally thank me later! :)

Tomato Pie
Ingredients
4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.

Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.

Anonymous said...

I had the same issue with my orange peppers too. WTF?! I love yammering posts :) Its how I blog. LOL!

Clare said...

OK, I don't have a garden so I'm not any help there, but doesn't it feel good to get things done around the house. We did a bunch of projects this weekend, and it is so great! Your salsa sounds like it was yummy!

Just Jiff said...

I'm VERY proud! Now send me your salsa recipe. :)