Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I think I broke my hip.

I love being pregnant. Honestly and truly, I do. But I am going to complain about something pregnancy related. For me, it is by far the WORST part of being pregnant. I am talking about pelvic/hip pain. I have entered the phase where all movement of my hips is excruciatingly painful. And hips are kind of important for things like WALKING and SITTING.

This is a problem I experienced with all three of my pregnancies. My hips hurt at the very end of my pregnancy with Porgie, nothing overly painful - just an annoyance. With Izzy, the pain started early (like around 20 weeks). By the end, the pain was pretty bad. I remember having trouble lifting my leg to get into my van. I was overweight when I got pregnant with him, so I accredited my wacky hip problems to being fat. But this time? Well, I was completely fine until about 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly my hip/pelvic area ached a lot at night. I found myself waking up in pain every few hours and having to find a new position to sleep in. This past week, the pain has been overwhelming. It hurts to walk. It hurts to sit. It hurts to get dressed. It hurts to get in my van. It hurts to roll over in bed. I am in pain pretty much ALL THE FUCKING TIME. I have to waddle at a snail's pace to keep my pelvis happy. And even then, I am always aware of a soreness in that region. It kind of feels like someone has kicked me in the pelvic area about 100 times. The really bizarre part is that I often hear a popping sound when I attempt to move my hips. It is almost like my bone is popping back into place. And I am not fat this time, so I know that I didn't inadvertently create the problem.

I complained to the OB, but she wasn't very helpful. She just told me how my joints are loosening up in preparation for delivery. I know the physical reason behind this problem, I just don't understand why the pain is so intense with this baby. I have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs, but it isn't helping at all. At this rate, I am fairly confident that I won't be able to walk by the time I reach 40 weeks.

Any advice or suggestions?

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Ohh...that really stinks friend! Haven't gottent to that point, yet but have had some back pain. The best thing that I find that works is taking a hot shower and I also use one of the heat packs that you have to heat up in the microwave...definitely helps. Also, maybe try stretching a little when you just get out of the shower. That helps me tons!

Kate W. said...

Ugh- I had this with my last two pregnancies and I can relate- it IS horrible! The only "good" news is that it doesn't get worse? And I was amazed how quickly it went away after delivery. I would always get worried trying to roll over in bed at night. Some people think that the pelvic girdle things work...

Kris said...

1. Chiropractor. They can seriously help you if you have one (or one that will work w/ pg women) in your area.

2. Do you have a birthing (or exercise) ball? We couldn't afford a chiro visit w/ ZJ and our birthing ball helped a ton. I spent a ton of time on the thing... LOL I'm actually on it right now too (been having back pain again).

3. Yoga/meditation/etc.

*hugs* though. Hope things get better!

Antropóloga said...

I have some of this sometimes. It comes and goes and it more or less severe. Hot baths help!

I love being pregnant, too, despite this kind of thing.

Antropóloga said...

Oh yeah, and being on all fours and rotating in various unattractive ways.

amanda said...

i am so sorry just so sorry.

i just know and feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, literally! Try acupuncture, it works! Hopefully, your health insurance will cover it, too.

Depuy Pinnacle Lawsuit said...

I am sorry to hear about your case. I know this must be a terrible experience. Hip pains can really cause a lot of inconvenience and interrupts our usual activities. DePuy Pinnacle Lawsuit