Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Staying busy

I recently came to the realization that I am an introvert. It is not that I am shy or self absorbed, I just like time to be alone with my thoughts. After a period of being outgoing and social, I often need time to decompress. I go off the radar for a few weeks. I won't call my family or friends (although I will talk to them if they call me). I find that I am happier if I have time to myself. Unstructured time to play with the kids or read a book or write a blog post or bake a batch of brownies. If I can't find time to do these simple things, I get cranky and mean.

When I feel the need to be alone, I often embark on crazy home improvement projects. Fixing up the house = peace and quiet. So, I have decided to paint our guest bedroom in anticipation of my mother's upcoming visit in April. I have been fretting endless about colors. To save money, I am also going to attempt to hand sew new curtains for the room. I would make them with my sewing machine, but I don't know how to use it. I am pathetic.

So, be expecting before and after pictures in the next few weeks!

10 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

A have a long list of to do things. I would rather veg out on the couch, lol

Jenny said...

Can't wait to see the curtains....good luck with them!

Clare said...

you are always doing an awesome project around the house!! go mama! i wouldn't even know where to start, honestly;)

Just Jiff said...

I think alone time is very healthy and much needed for everyone. I love mine! I just never take it. Well, I am now.

I can't wait to hear about your curtains. I just dug my sewing machine out of a box and haven't seen it for 2 years. I forgot what it looked like. So, I need to learn how to thread it -- again. :)

Carrie said...

you are not pathetic. If no-one has shown you how to use a sewing machine, they are confusing to get set up. and fyi, most custom drapery are 50% hand sewn. The sides and the hem are all done by hand. The tops and the center seams are done on machine. I worked for a custom textile house for a while. worst job ever. Not the work, just the people I was working with.

Nonnie said...

I detest home improvement projects. I am about to start remodeling my kitchen, and I dread it!

Unknown said...

I can help you with the sewing info! And look at YouTube videos on the topic!

Amanda said...

Hi Christy!
Thank-You for the gift. It arrived safe and sound. And you have picked my favourite colours, pink and green. I love it!
I wouldn't even know where to start with a sewing machine!! Good Luck with your projects!

Amanda x

amanda said...

i like brownies. and your make overs. can't wait for the before and afters!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

I am an extrovert, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my alone time too!