Thursday, December 1, 2011

Confessions of a cosleeping mama

Co-sleeping can be great.  Some nights Guppy and I snuggle up together in bed and happily drift off to sleep.  It is lovely and cozy and so incredibly sweet.  I love to brush my lips across his fuzzy little head.  I love to listen to his little sleep noises.  I love knowing that he is safe.  There is comfort in having my baby sleeping in my bed.  I know that Guppy won't be this little for long, and I just want to savor these precious moments with him.

But sometimes, co-sleeping is a real bitch.  Sometimes I just can't get comfortable with Guppy sleeping so close to me.  Where is my arm supposed to go?  It feels oddly out of place no matter how I position it around him.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, and I just really REALLY want to roll over.  But the baby is in a light stage of sleep, and I fear that my movement will wake him up.  I will literally stay awake for 30 minutes debating whether or not I should roll over.

Last week I was finally going to move Guppy to his own room. John was taking a week off of work, so I knew that he could help me rock the baby back to sleep if he woke excessively during the night.  I had the whole process planned out in my head.  I was going to have my bed back!  But then, out of nowhere, my baby boy started sleeping for long stretches.  He was only waking once at night.  He was going to bed at 8:30 and not waking up to eat until 4am or 5am.  I was absolutely amazed!  I didn't want to rock the boat, so I pushed off the move to the crib until next month (when John is taking another week of vacation time).

Tune back in three weeks when I write a duplicate of this post.  Who am I kidding?  My baby boy is going to be in my bed until he is 23.

5 comments:

amanda said...

omg!! i used to do the exact same thing. like lay there and think how the hell can i move? i can't move. i can not wake up this sweet babe. who cares if i can't feel my arm!!

there is seriously nothing better than co-sleeping!! and as you well know i had a hard time cutting it off this last time...heck i am having a hard time cutting off everything this time around!

i say enjoy it!!

Kris said...

LOL I'm sorry you've had rough patches with it. My only prob with it was with my oldest when we transitioned her out to soon... she came back later than we wanted (over 2 years)and its been a struggle. Thankfully much smoother with our second... hoping the next is easy too. I'm gonna miss it someday!

allyk said...

My boy is 7 and he still falls asleep with us every night. Sometimes we put him in his own bed and sometimes we don't and I enjoy his little 7 year old feet kicking me all night.

Antropologa said...

Well, I can't stand sleeping with my kids. I can barely stand sleeping with my husband. So thank goodness my baby likes his crib. ):

anelen said...

I just could NOT sleep with a small baby next to me anymore. My husband could but not me, so we bought a Chicco play yard and the MamaDoo Kids mattress topper for much needed extra comfort and our son sleeps in our room right next to me.